X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Company Executives Defend Profits

By H. JOSEF HEBERT, Associated Press Writer
    16 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - The chiefs of five major oil companies defended the industry's huge profits Wednesday at a Senate hearing where lawmakers said they should explain prices and assure people they're not being gouged.

There is a "growing suspicion that oil companies are taking unfair advantage," Sen. Pete Domenici (news, bio, voting record), R-N.M., said as the hearing opened in a packed Senate committee room.

"The oil companies owe the country an explanation," he said.

Lee Raymond, chairman of Exxon Mobil Corp., said he recognizes that high gasoline prices "have put a strain on Americans' household budgets" but he defended his companies huge profits, saying petroleum earnings "go up and down" from year to year.

ExxonMobil, the worlds' largest privately owned oil company, earned nearly $10 billion in the third quarter. Raymond was joined at the witness table by the chief executives of Chevron, ConocoPhillips, BPAmerica and Shell Oil USA.

Together the companies earned more than $25 billion in profits in the July-September quarter as the price of crude oil hit $70 a barrel and gasoline surged to record levels after the disruptions of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.

Raymond said the profits are in line with other industries when profits are compared to the industry's enormous revenues.

Democrats had wanted the executives to testify under oath, but Republicans rejected the idea. "If I were a witness I would demand to be put under oath," said Sen. Daniel Inouye (news, bio, voting record), D-Hawaii. The soaring prices have sent shivers through a Congress worried about political fallout.

A number of Democrats, joined by a few Republicans, have called for a windfall profits tax on oil companies.

Domenici said he opposed such a move saying "it didn't work before and probably won't work again." The government imposed taxes on oil company windfall profits in the 1970s, resulting in a drop in investment in oil development.

The executives hoped to dampen any further momentum for calls for taxing windfall oil company profits, something still viewed as a longshot but also no longer out of the question. Such a tax could inhibit investment in refineries or oil exploration and production, the industry argues.

James Mulla, chairman of ConocoPhillips, said "we are ready open our records" to dispute allegations of price gouging. ConocoPhillips earned $3.8 billion in the third quarter, an 89 percent increase over a year earlier. But he said that represents only a 7.7 percent profit margin for every dollar of sales. "We do not consider that a windfall," said Mulva.

David O'Reilly, chairman of Chevron, attributed the high energy prices to tight supplies even before the Gulf hurricanes hit and said his company is "investing aggressively in the development of new energy supplies."
    Buy a Hybrid ?

Healthy profit, wouldn't you say?
    A Hybrid would end up paying for itself.
    Of course, then they'd stick it to consumers on heating, like the article notes.
    Maybe we can get a hybrid heating fuel
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Oh Slowwy, make sure you clarify which part includes your thoughts, and which part is the actual article for those who are dense enough not to tell the difference already.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

I can't please all, so I'm not worrying.
      Doing it as Asher, Sava and Japher said I should.
      Last edited by SlowwHand; November 9, 2005, 11:17.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
        What's quoted, Einstein?
        I can't please all, so I'm not worrying.
        The article is quoted -- anyway, I was joking in reference to Sava or Pekka -- can't remember who exactly -- when he tried telling you the appropriate way to post your thoughts in conjunction with whatever article you're quoting.
        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

I altered it some. Figured no reason to get all weird over it.

Comment

Hmm an article about oil companies high profits and gouging.. and a comment about a hybrid car, uses less fuel so we are being gouged less by the oil companies.... makes sense to me.
            One thing you gotta ask yourself... where are you now? -- James Blunt lyrics

Comment

The oil business is often not a very good business to be in and is taxed very heavily besides. One or a half dozen very profitable quarters doesn't change that fact.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

As much as I would like to blame everything on the oil companies, DanS is right.
                In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Doesn't change it for the consumer either.
                  When low income people are turning their heaters off in the dead of winter, that's a problem; especially when many times the billing is an estimate for what the energy company assumes you used.
                  Don't say it doesn't happen, because it does.

This from a "raging consevative".

Comment

Stick it to The Man, Sloww!
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Every company sells their product at a profit, or at least tries to. People need to stop this bull**** about making oil companies sell oil at cheaper prices, or building more refineries, and all that, and come to terms with the fact that excessive consumption is what put them in their current situation. If we hadn't allowed ourselves to continue growing more and more dependent on these commodities, we wouldn't be dealing with this in th first place.

Comment

"Excessive consumption"? Is that an economic term of art?

Comment

Originally posted by Verto
                          If we hadn't allowed ourselves to continue growing more and more dependent on these commodities, we wouldn't be dealing with this in th first place.
                          Yeah, You're right.. I have grown dependent on being warm in the winter.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                            "Excessive consumption"? Is that an economic term of art?
                            Voodoo economics, padawan

eah, You're right.. I have grown dependent on being warm in the winter.

Wear a sweater.

Comment

Originally posted by Verto

Wear a sweater.
                              Tell me wiseguy.. how warm do you keep your igloo?

Comment

Working...
                              X