Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which is worse ( from a moral standpoint ) ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is worse ( from a moral standpoint ) ?

I wanted to ask this question for some time now , about what type of behaviour is worse on the part of nations/cultures .

Imagine that there is a culture which considers iteslf superior to all others ( at least , all others it has encountered so far ) . Currently , it is the strongest of all those it knows , and can , if it wants to , overwhelm the others .

Now there are two ways the given state can behave

a) It can try to "civilise" the others it considers inferior , the way the Europeans did
    b) It can say , "Let them rot in their own s*** , why bother ourselves with the barbarians" , the thing India has practised whenever it was powerful .

Out of these , which is the more arrogant attitude ? And which is the better one ( when we consider both , the said state and the people it considers barbarians ) ?

I should think there is a middle road between an arrogant "civilizing mission," as per colonialism, and complete apathy for the condition of other cultures. The black and white choice you give is inadequate.
    Lime roots and treachery!
    "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

There may well be such a middle path , but I want you to make a choice between the two I have given .

Comment

the european way, becasue frankly we are better than you.
        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

@ C0ckney

What about the European way ? Is it better or is it worse ?

From now on , whenever someone answers with only "the apathy" or "imperialism" , it will mean they think that their answer is the one which they consider the worse of the two . And let us remember that I have posed two questions - a) Which is more arrogant , and b) Which is worse .

Comment

Alright, if you want it one way or the other...

a) Neither is neccessarily more arrogant because arrogance is a state of mind. A country could be equally arrogant in pursuing either path.

b) It is worse to interfere, because humans are not smart and forward-thinking enough to effectively take on civilizing missions. Such missions fail because the "parent" country doesn't understand the depth of the changes they are making and the culture they are changing. Often, such missions turn into simple imperialism and greed, if they didn't start that way to begin with. It is preferential to let people solve problems themselves.
            "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

a) Neither is neccessarily more arrogant because arrogance is a state of mind. A country could be equally arrogant in pursuing either path.

b) It is worse to interfere, because humans are not smart and forward-thinking enough to effectively take on civilizing missions. Such missions fail because the "parent" country doesn't understand the depth of the changes they are making and the culture they are changing. Often, such missions turn into simple imperialism and greed, if they didn't start that way to begin with. It is preferential to let people solve problems themselves.
              QFT
              -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
              -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

"So long as western people imagine that there only exists a single type of humanity, that there is only one 'civilization', at different stages of development, no mutual understanding will be possible. The truth is that there are many civilizations, developing along very different lines, and that, among these, that of the modern West is strangely exceptional, as some of its characteristics show."

"But most extraordinary of all is perhaps the claim to set up this abnormal civilization as the very type of all civilization, to regard it as Civilization with a capital letter, and even as the only one which deserves the name. Extraordinary too, and also complementary to this illusion, is the belief in "progress," considered no less absolutely, and naturally identified, at heart, with this material development which absorbs the entire activity of the modern West."

"In any case, what westeners call civilization, the others would call barbarity, because it is precisely lacking in the essential, that is to say a principle of a higher order."

- Excerpt from Rene Guenon

Along these lines:

I just want to add these things:
                I really thing we can help other country, and we should at a certains times, make millitary intervention( or others) but as long as we dont want to civilizate the world... to destroy other god, other culture, other value. If we do that now I think we make it wrong.
                Last edited by CrONoS; November 9, 2005, 11:54.
                bleh

Comment

Quite right, and as a conservative American un-abashedly trying to spread my own ideas, I think the "west" focuses too much on imprinting our culture on others and not enough on passing down our heritage to our own children.

Preservation of self is the only way to ensure longevity.
                  Wizards sixth rule:
                  "The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is reason."
                  Can't keep me down, I will CIV on.

Comment

Re: Which is worse ( from a moral standpoint ) ?

Originally posted by aneeshm
                    I wanted to ask this question for some time now , about what type of behaviour is worse on the part of nations/cultures .

Imagine that there is a culture which considers iteslf superior to all others ( at least , all others it has encountered so far ) . Currently , it is the strongest of all those it knows , and can , if it wants to , overwhelm the others .

Now there are two ways the given state can behave

a) It can try to "civilise" the others it considers inferior , the way the Europeans did
                    b) It can say , "Let them rot in their own s*** , why bother ourselves with the barbarians" , the thing India has practised whenever it was powerful .

Out of these , which is the more arrogant attitude ? And which is the better one ( when we consider both , the said state and the people it considers barbarians ) ?
                    I'm going to agree with everyone else that your choices are too simple. The world and life in general aren't that simple.
                    I no longer use this account.

Comment

Aneeshm - I personally prefer ignoring other cultures. It produces a more moral result for the surrounding people's. Unfortunately, you also get hose pesky Muslim or British Barbarians that when ignored ended up screwing those cultures that had ignored them. So the ignorance option is worst for the culture practicing it.
                      The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
                      And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
                      Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
                      Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

) It can try to "civilise" the others it considers inferior , the way the Europeans did
                        Live and let live makes "A" worse.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

OF the two option A is more arrogant.

Of the two the better for advancing the best interests of the world as it results in better parity of technology infrastrucutre etc. option A. Reference the Romans.
                          "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

European states didnt imperialize for the benefit of mankind, nor did they do so to be eevil SOBS. They did so because there were multiple European states, and imperializing (generally) created a survival advantage in the intra-European competition. So its not really a moral question, being determined by system considerations, not by any particular state.

In any case its questionalble whether it makes sense to judge states, esp pre-modern ones, on moral criteria. One can only ask whats ethical for an individual to do.
                            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Individual Europeans certainly gave moral reasons for imperialism along the way. Whether European states themselves imperialized for those reasons is debatable - especially since states are only the sum of their people.

Comment

Working...
                              X