Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Networks to start selling shows on demand.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Networks to start selling shows on demand.

CBS, NBC to offer TV shows for 99 cents
    By Associated Press
    Tuesday, November 8, 2005 - Updated: 01:22 PM EST

NEW YORK - CBS and NBC have announced deals to offer replays of prime-time programs for 99 cents per episode, shifting television toward a sales model that gained popularity with downloaded music.

CBS is teaming up with Comcast Corp. and NBC with satellite operator DirecTV to offer the on-demand replays.

NBC Universal will offer commercial-free episodes of "Law & Order: SVU" and other shows to subscribers of DirecTV Group Inc. who use the satellite company’s new digital video recorder.

Terms of the deals, which were announced Monday, were not disclosed.

"This is an incredibly exciting evolution for CBS and network television - video on demand is the next frontier for our industry," CBS Chairman Leslie Moonves said of the deal with Philadelphia-based Comcast, the nation’s largest cable systems operator. CBS, which is owned by Viacom Inc., announced last week it would stream episodes of its show "Threshold" over CBS.com.

The Walt Disney Co.’s ABC network offers downloads of several programs, including "Desperate Housewives" and "Lost," for $1.99 each via iTunes software from Apple Computer Inc.

Less than three years ago, Apple helped spur the explosion of legally downloaded music with its iTunes Music Store and iPod portable players - the latest versions of which now play video.

Comcast’s service will be available starting in January to customers in markets with a CBS owned-and-operated television station, which includes the nation’s seven largest media markets. The episodes will be available as early as midnight following a broadcast and will include commercials.

The DirecTV agreement includes shows that air on NBC, USA, Bravo and the Sci-Fi Channel, including "The Office" and "Monk." Episodes of the shows will remain available for one week after their broadcast. NBC Universal is a unit of General Electric Co.

DirecTV, which is based in El Segundo, Calif., and controlled by the media conglomerate News Corp., began shipping its new DVR this week. The device uses interactive software from NDS Group Ltd., another News Corp. unit, and is designed to transition the company from dependence on similar devices made by TiVo Inc.

"We are talking to the other networks and hope to reach similar agreements soon," DirecTV spokesman Robert Marsocci said Monday.

The new DirecTV DVR comes with a hard drive that holds 160 hours of programming. One hundred hours are available for subscribers to record and store programs. The remaining 60 hours will be used by DirecTV to download programs that can be viewed on demand for an extra fee.

The day's not too far away when they start selling "spoiler" episodes for $2.99 (i.e., see "Lost" on Saturday night for $2.99 rather than waiting until Wednesday for free). Then they'll start selling subscriptions to series, and finally figure out a way to charge you a fraction of a penny for every minute of TV watched.

good idea, though I'll never buy.

I'm actually smart enough to work my VCR.

Comment

But eventually, if you aren't paying, the show isn't showing.

Or maybe only the "elite" shows will be pay per view.

I don't know, all I know is that this changes the model.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
        good idea, though I'll never buy.

I'm actually smart enough to work my VCR.
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Too expensive. Wrong networks.

I would pay, say, $5 for a month of the Daily Show.
          "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
          -Bokonon

Comment

The day's not too far away when they start selling "spoiler" episodes for $2.99 (i.e., see "Lost" on Saturday night for $2.99 rather than waiting until Wednesday for free). Then they'll start selling subscriptions to series, and finally figure out a way to charge you a fraction of a penny for every minute of TV watched.

QFTivo

Comment

The VCR is an option and was what we did but our future method will be the PVR. We will have a standing order to record what we watch so I don't really see any advantage to the subscription model. Recorded on PVR I can assemble a full season and essentially watch them back to back.
              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Hooray for PVRs.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I might $1 for a TV show if it came in the form of a file a la iTunes, but with resolution 640x480 and with DVD burning right, but not for a one time pay per view.
                  "Chemistry is a class you take in high school or college, where you figure out two plus two is 10, or something."
                  - Dennis Rodman, NBA Basketball player, on Chicago Bull's team chemistry being overrated

Comment

I don't watch television.
                    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Working...
                    X