Boycott PC games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boycott PC games

That's it. I'm near the point where I'm seriously considering abandoning buying new PC games and as a result new and powerfull computers.

Why? What's wrong with you, you ask?

I bought Civ4 on release day. I even managed to get a copy of the limited edition from my local EB. I even called all the stores around me like a big dork asking if Civ4 came in. Then I got into my car and drove over to the mall on my lunch break. I almost caused several 10 car accidents I wanted that game so bad. That last red light before turning into the mall was almost the last straw.

Then I bring my game home and spend over a week fiddling with drivers, reboots, XP SP2, bad internet connections, a French Tech Tree, mislabled disks. Should I stop now? And yes my rig meets or exceeds all requirements to play the game as it does for thousands of other fellow gamers out there.

Rinse and repeat with all the other computer games I've purchased in the past year, i.e. Rome Total War, GGWAW, Pirates....

In all my years as a PC gamer it's been the past year that I've seen the most unfinished products on store shelves in my life. That's it I think for me. Even if Civ4 is patched and repaired to the point where it can be played I think there's no more point in supporting an industry that has forgotten about delivering quality products. By quality I mean a working game with no showstopping bugs.

I'm done. Care to prove me wrong?
    signature not visible until patch comes out.

More games for me, then.
    "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
    "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
    Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

download them before you buy

that's what I do

make sure the games are worth buying

then, after the hype has passed, go out a month or two later, maybe after the game has gone down in price $10, and purchase

I haven't had any problems with Civ4 or any other of the games you mentioned.

Not surprisingly though, software pirates probably work harder to get game releases working more than developers do.

I'm not advocating a boycott. I think you should support developers if the game is good.

But try before you buy. Definitely.

just my 2 cents
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

You can do it if you want, but I'll get a PC game if I like it and I'm reasonably certain I can run it.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

It worked fine out of the box for me. Apparently you aren't alone though, as roughly 33% of the population could not get it to work out of the box.
          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

He was reasonably sure. Didn't help much.

I blew them off when I saw the butcher job on Civ 3.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
              It worked fine out of the box for me. Apparently you aren't alone though, as roughly 33% of the population could not get it to work out of the box.
              33%?

according to what source?
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

That's one of the things I like about console games: you pop it in, and tada! it works! Unfortunately, some games you can only get on the PC, games like CIV for example.
                Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                  33%?

according to what source?
                  I think he's refering to the CivIV forum poll, which I don't find that reliable (chances are that people who got the game to work and don't post on internet forums aren't voting in that poll).
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Re: Boycott PC games

[QUOTE] Originally posted by Cookie Monster
                    Then I bring my game home and spend over a week fiddling with drivers, reboots, XP SP2, bad internet connections, a French Tech Tree, mislabled disks. Should I stop now? And yes my rig meets or exceeds all requirements to play the game as it does for thousands of other fellow gamers out there.
                    Did your graphics card support T&L?

Rinse and repeat with all the other computer games I've purchased in the past year, i.e. Rome Total War, GGWAW, Pirates....
                    All of which work fine on my machine, and worked fine on my old one. This would seem to indicate some problem with your machine, not all that (very different) software.
                    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

I have an ATI card and the game worked fine, right out of the box, no problems.

Comment

Limited editions are NEVER worth it.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

BTW I've always been able to play every game right out of the box. Sure it costs me 10% more to buy from Dell instead of building my own but now that I'm out of college money isn't an issue and I just can't be bothered to make my own systems anymore. The upside is since Dell is the biggest maker out there every game company makes sure their games run on Dells. No muss, no fuss, just a systems that runs everything on the first try.

Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                            Limited editions are NEVER worth it.
                            Aside from the CivIV special edition which cost the same as the regular one .

Comment

Get MAME.

You'll never look back.

Actually you will, but that the whole purpose of it!

Comment

Working...
                              X