China eyes 2017 moon landing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mao
    wait, how valid is this helium-3 thing? Any scientists out there?
    Google is your friend. He-3 is a clean fuel for fusion reactors, leaving very little radioactive residuals.

Scientists estimate there are about1 million tons of helium 3 on the moon, enough to power the world for thousandsof years. The equivalent of a single space shuttle load or roughly 25 tonscould supply the entire United States' energy needs for a year, accordingto Apollo17 astronaut and FTI researcher Harrison Schmitt.

But:

Indeed for now, the economics of extractingand transporting helium 3 from the moon are also problematic. Even if scientistssolved the physics of helium 3 fusion, "it would be economically unfeasible,"asserted Jim Benson, chairman of SpaceDev in Poway, California, which strivesto be one of the first commercial space-exploration companies. "UnlessI'm mistaken, you'd have to strip-mine large surfaces of the moon."

NASA is contemplating ambitious missions using its Space Launch System (SLS) rocket under development, including trips to Jupiter, the moon of Pluto, and Saturn's Titan.

Perhaps I should buy some real estate on the moon after all, and then sell the mining rights when the time comes? My grandchildren could be billionaries. Anyone knows the web site?
    So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
    Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

maybe they don't know it isn't made of cheese
      Monkey!!!

Comment

While I'd love to beat a commie country to the moon for a second time, America would probably be better off working towards a space elevator.
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
          And you guys don't have borked infrastructure?

In that case you should be spending NASA's money on proper health care for your citizens.
          Aggie, compare your average Chinese town to your average US town. No comparison infastructure wise.

BTW if you'd read my post you'd know I called for a cooperative colonization of space.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

what a terrible waste of money

I see they're doing the same as the URSS

but my, if they fall, what a noise they'll make
            I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Working...
            X