Arrrr!! Somali Pirates Pwn3d by Cruise Ship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Last Conformist
    @Zkrib: What "Law of Nations" were they refering too?
    I'm not Zkribbler (and thank the Gods for that ), but:

International Law
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Apparently the cruise ship had some sort of soundblaster weapon thingy they used on the pirates. Not a .50 cal, but then again it's probably less scary to your passengers too...

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
        Apparently the cruise ship had some sort of soundblaster weapon thingy they used on the pirates. Not a .50 cal, but then again it's probably less scary to your passengers too...

-Arrian
        A soundblaster weapon thingy??

Actually, as I think about it, you don't even need the machine guns. A sniper or two atop the cruise ship could just OWN the ocean during any daylight raid ( and probably even more with proper night gear) After all, where can the pirates hide?? Its not like it would take that many shots to start causing distress on a rubber raft.

Somehow I doubt these pirates will end up having armoured craft any time soon
        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
          Yeah -- I thought you knew something referring specifically to waterways, since that's what you so eagerly corrected me about -- I guess I were overestimating you, sorry. Add on this your refusal to actually read other peoples posts, and we get waste of time, as usual.

Useless. I never should've checked this thread, either.
          You should never have registered here, either.

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber
            A soundblaster weapon thingy??

Actually, as I think about it, you don't even need the machine guns. A sniper or two atop the cruise ship could just OWN the ocean during any daylight raid ( and probably even more with proper night gear) After all, where can the pirates hide?? Its not like it would take that many shots to start causing distress on a rubber raft.

Somehow I doubt these pirates will end up having armoured craft any time soon
            OTOH, how much does it cost to pay a professional sniper every year (and to buy his gear), rather than two install two machine guns and train a few people in the basics of how to use them?

/serious question

Comment

On the Love Boat - Tommy Lee Jones as the ship's sniper.....
              “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

For the curious (kudos to ayronis over at MZO for the link):

Sonic Weapon

-Arrian
                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

OTOH, how much does it cost to pay a professional sniper every year (and to buy his gear), rather than two install two machine guns and train a few people in the basics of how to use them?

/serious question
                  The sniper wouldn't cost that much if you contacted some elite US, Canadian, UK, Israeli, whatever etc etc troops and just offered a free trip. Thats how they get some entertainers on board. The sharpshooter would know that their duties were unlikely to be needed and they could take turns doing their duties

The cruise line would only have to do it in some areas where the waters are more dangerous and possibly advertise the fact. I'm thinking a few well placed messages to the right folks (possibly in the form of a bullet through a forehead) and the sport of hunting cruise ships would quickly end.
                  You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

On a more serious note, where are the naval powers in all this?? I know these waters are far from US or UK shores but when pirates manace navigation from EVERY nation, I would expect a response. Its not like you need or want things like carriers or Aegis cruisers.

Does anyone know if any navy is doing much in terms of anti-piracy activities? I know you probably can't end it if the pirates can dash to safety in a nearby lawless state . . . but you can sure as heck make it less attractive. heck a single patrol vessel with an armed helicopter could alone put quite a dent in these types of activities

Comment

Working...
                    X