US/UK English question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US/UK English question

Whenever I'm reading something about an organization, I've noticed something that happens about 100% of the time:

Whenever an American is writing about an organization, the organization's name is a singular noun.

"Microsoft has been a menace to America and everything that it stands for."

Everyone else who writes about a group uses their name as a plural noun.

"Microsoft have an ace up on the PlayStation 3 for some dumb reason I didn't finish reading."

Nearly always, an American is writing the first way, and an Englishman the second way.

Is this a US/UK English thing, or are Americans just dumb, or am I just dumb?
    meet the new boss, same as the old boss

The proper expression depends on context. If you're speaking about the organisation as a single entity then it's "has". If you're talking about the organisation as a group of people then it's "have".
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Microsoft is a company. Singular.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

And might I add, the British never write about organizations.

Comment

Okay. I've always used singular anyways, and Microsot was just an example. But I just notice all thse British guys running around talking about how a soccer club have won a match or such.

I could see how a soccer club could be referred to as a group of people, but the "Microsoft have" example comes straight out of the other thread with Asher and Black Cat.
          meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

'Have', but I am a Brit!

Comment

Brits can't speak English. You know that.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Stop the presses - Americans and British people speak differently.

Comment

Hmmm...the sports thing is true in American English too...people say, "the Red Sox have won!" or "the Yankees have won!" but that may be a function of the team's name being a plural, despite it technically referring to a singular entity as the team.
                  Who wants DVDs? Good prices! I swear!

Comment

I forgot who said it but it is so true. The US & UK are two people devided by a coomon language.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

It's organisation. Get it straight
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Yee knaa Texas rules, reet ?

Comment

Dennis Farina put it best in the movie "Snatch":

"Speak english to me, Tony. I thought this country (England) spawned the ****ing language and so far, nobody seems to speak it."
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                            The US & UK are two people devided by a coomon language.
                            Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
                            CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
                            One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

I totally disagree. For example, here Sloww shows perfect grasp of basic geordie (apart from the Texas bit):

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                              Yee knaa Texas rules, reet ?
                              The organisation thing is because of company law. A limited enterprise is a unique entity, separated from its shareholders. So if a company screws you over, then you can only sue the company. You can't decide that your injury was worth hell of a lot more than that and then go on to sue all the shareholders too. Their liability for company debts only goes as far as the value of the shares they hold in that company, so they shouldn't lose their house if the company goes under.

Comment

Working...
                              X