Microsoft, Apple, and the new Xbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

teh xbox is teh doomed.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Verto
      Surely you aren't criticizing Apple for trying to control its own operating system and computers, and preventing unauthorized copies of it?
      Would you cry foul if Microsoft specifically engineered Windows to not function on Apple x86 computers?

Apple is building a PC and allowing any OS to be installed on it, and at the same time they're preventing their OS from being installed on other manufacturer's PCs.

I'm not sure where the unauthorized copies come in here. You're buying an x86 MacOS X at some point, why are people who put it on non-Apple computers suddenly pirates? I'm missing that equation...
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
        teh xbox is teh doomed.
        Comparisons to the Xbox and other consoles are unfounded.

Apple sells its hardware at a considerable profit (last I checked their margins were 50% or so), Microsoft sells the Xbox for a considerable loss. Their business model depends on royalty revenue from applications to offset that cost, so there is a legit reason for preventing non-official applications from running.

Apple's motivation is simply to boost sales of their overpriced computers only, restricting consumer choice and locking them into a world of Apple.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Would you cry foul if Microsoft specifically engineered Windows to not function on Apple x86 computers?

Apple is building a PC and allowing any OS to be installed on it, and at the same time they're preventing their OS from being installed on other manufacturer's PCs.

I'm not sure where the unauthorized copies come in here. You're buying an x86 MacOS X at some point, why are people who put it on non-Apple computers suddenly pirates? I'm missing that equation...
          I was referring to what I thought was a part of the article dealing with preventing people from copying the OS, maybe I misread it.

Anyway, I don't see anything wrong with Apple keeping their OS on only Apple-built machines, it certainly isn't anything new - they shut down "Apple clones" years ago. Nor would I have a problem if Microsoft did the same thing. It is their products, let them do what they will. Of course, the law may have a different opinion on the matter.

Comment

The law would've threatened Microsoft with beheading if they did the same thing with Windows.

Comment

Comparisons to the Xbox and other consoles are unfounded.

Apple sells its hardware at a considerable profit (last I checked their margins were 50% or so), Microsoft sells the Xbox for a considerable loss. Their business model depends on royalty revenue from applications to offset that cost, so there is a legit reason for preventing non-official applications from running.

Apple's motivation is simply to boost sales of their overpriced computers only, restricting consumer choice and locking them into a world of Apple.
              Yes, with its 3 or 4% marketshare, people are locked into the omnipresent world of Apple by forcing them to buy iPods, which forces them to buy Apple computers, which forces them to spontaneously combust.

The articles and complaints seem to have very little substance, other than providing you with another chance to whine about Apple.

Comment

The law would've threatened Microsoft with beheading if they did the same thing with Windows.
                The price you pay for dominating so many markets and gaining so much attention.

Comment

The price you pay for dominating so many markets and gaining so much attention.
                  So you would agree with legal action against Apple and the iTunes/iPod lock-in tactics?

They do, after all, frequently boast how high their marketshare is.

Comment

Yes, with its 3 or 4% marketshare, people are locked into the omnipresent world of Apple by forcing them to buy iPods, which forces them to buy Apple computers, which forces them to spontaneously combust.

The articles and complaints seem to have very little substance, other than providing you with another chance to whine about Apple.
                    Apple built its first business model around vendor lock-in. Customers grew tired of it and fled to Windows.

They're doing it again now, not just with the iPod. They had a glorious chance to take on Windows by letting OS X be installed on any PC. The "switching" rate would be phenomenally higher than it is to force them to buy a new PC from Apple for a price premium.

It tells you just how much of a profit (or ripoff) their hardware is if they're willing to forgo the profits from software sales (which traditionally have much higher profit margins).

Comment

I'll leave their business strategy to them; if they want to shoot themselves in the foot (or not, depending on your view) then that's their right.

So you would agree with legal action against Apple and the iTunes/iPod lock-in tactics?

They do, after all, frequently boast how high their marketshare is.

I would not agree with it, since no one forces you to buy an iPod, and there are several competiting players - Sony, Dell, Creative, etc. But I would say that it should be expected - when you are the big kid on the block, then people are going to come after you.

I also have consistently been against much of the harassment and legal suits against Microsoft.

Comment

I would not agree with it, since no one forces you to buy an iPod, and there are several competiting players - Sony, Dell, Creative, etc. But I would say that it should be expected - when you are the big kid on the block, then people are going to come after you.

I also have consistently been against much of the harassment and legal suits against Microsoft.
                        As long as you're consistent.

People like Aggie were cheerleading the MS legal suits, and he looks the other way when it affects Apple.

Comment

They had a glorious chance to take on Windows by letting OS X be installed on any PC.

I don't think Microsoft would appreciate such a move and Apple sure as hell doesn't want to get on Bill Gates' bad side.
                          KH FOR OWNER!
                          ASHER FOR CEO!!
                          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I think he's already on Gates' bad side.

Comment

Mildly, but not enough for Gates to really want to put the screws to Apple.
                              KH FOR OWNER!
                              ASHER FOR CEO!!
                              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Pretty much..
                                Only feebs vote.

Comment

Working...
                                X