Clear All

Originally posted by notyoueither
    So you're going to cite Poly?
    lol, not quite.

Green and Wormald.
    Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninot
      He propelled the people towards their own unique identity, led the population with ability in a time of opportune circumstance, and defended his people against the war weary pillaging Danes, and thus he is reflected upon as a great king.
      sux.

Because it ends on a passive clause, dammit! How about:

Albert is considered a great king because he propelled the people towards their own unique identity, led the population with ability in a time of opportune circumstance, and defended his people against the war weary pillaging Danes.

And if people say that academics like passive voice, I'll counter that's why they're academics, the pussies.

Comment

Albert is considered a great king because he propelled the Saxons towards their own unique identity, led his subjects with ability in a time of opportune circumstance, and defended his realm against the war weary pillaging Danes.

He was not 'defending his people', even if he loved them... PULL!

He told his serfs and vassals what to do. He was fighting for his own power and place (his realm). Don't pretty it up with 'the people'.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Dude, I'm giving advice on English, not on the English.

Quote the correct quote and direct your comment towards the proper people, not me. I wouldn't care if Albert was a Communist, the original still makes for an average sentence, at best.

Comment

Dude, I was fixing your advice to have a hope of passing muster in a course marked by someone other than a Fox news addict.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Indeed, but it only really matters what Alfred, and the intellectuals of the era, thought.
              What makes you believe that Alfred had an idea of a nation (as said above, opposed to kingdom, rule etc.), and why do you think only his thoughts (and maybe those of "intellectuals") do matter here?
              Blah

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro

What makes you believe that Alfred had an idea of a nation (as said above, opposed to kingdom, rule etc.), and why do you think only his thoughts (and maybe those of "intellectuals") do matter here?
                Green, one of the writers I am given to cite, infers that Alfred had an idea of an English Nation.

Although Green is also almost nothing more than English Propaganda.

Comment

I don't know him Is he a historian from today, still alive, or is he from the past?
                  Blah

Comment

the article we are provided with is from...

According to the T.A., it was largely written in response to a wave of Charlemagne nostalgia, and the British wanted to say "Hey, we have a pretty cool king too"

Comment

From the 19th century? That explain something, the idea of nation played an overwhelming role in many works back then - due to the rise of Nationalism. Since I don't know the text exactly I can't judge from here (but since you already mentioned it is mainly propaganda) - but with this in mind I would be extra careful in regard to the use of "nation"....
                      Blah

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
                        From the 19th century? That explain something, the idea of nation played an overwhelming role in many works back then - due to the rise of Nationalism. Since I don't know the text exactly I can't judge from here (but since you already mentioned it is mainly propaganda) - but with this in mind I would be extra careful in regard to the use of "nation"....
                        Well my T.A. already warned me on trying to downplay Green. She said that would be too easy, and it would be better to use his writing to try and counteract Wormald, who has a more balanced view. I've done this specifically by showing that Wormald sees the spread of the vernacular as "unintended", whereas Green tries to show that Aflred specifically meant to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninot

Well my T.A. already warned me on trying to downplay Green. She said that would be too easy, and it would be better to use his writing to try and counteract Wormald, who has a more balanced view. I've done this specifically by showing that Wormald sees the spread of the vernacular as "unintended", whereas Green tries to show that Aflred specifically meant to do that.
                          Why is your TA telling you how to write your essay, and what arguements to formulate?

Their job is to judge the value of whatever arguement you do make, not to make your arguement for you....
                          If you don't like reality, change it! me
                          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither

Dude, I was fixing your advice to have a hope of passing muster in a course marked by someone other than a Fox news addict.

"The people" wasn't my phrasing. Again, direct your comments towards the guy who wrote it.

Comment

Originally posted by GePap

Why is your TA telling you how to write your essay, and what arguements to formulate?

Their job is to judge the value of whatever arguement you do make, not to make your arguement for you....
                              When I went to talk to her, she pointed out the route i was headed on wasn't going to get me far, and she kinda guided me away from that.

She didn't exactly tell me what to do, but she gave me an idea of what not to do.

Comment

im posting here way too much, and writing my essay way too little

Comment

Working...
                                X