"Using concubines... is an option"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Using concubines... is an option"

Feminists sure have their work cut out in Japan.

Anyone but a woman: prince
    Adoption, concubines said preferable to an empress

Compiled from AP, Kyodo
    Japan should exhaust all other options before allowing a woman to ascend to the Chrysanthemum Throne, including adoption and the use of concubines, a cousin of Emperor Akihito said in a newsletter obtained Thursday.

With the Chrysanthemum Throne facing a severe succession crisis -- the Imperial family has not produced a male heir in 40 years -- a government panel agreed last month to propose allowing women to reign. Crown Prince Naruhito and Crown Princess Masako have one child, 3-year-old Princess Aiko.

But Prince Tomohito of Mikasa, the Emperor's cousin, said that old traditions, such as allowing concubines, should be revived instead.

"We should try various other ways first," the prince, 56, wrote in an essay published in a newsletter circulated among staff of the Imperial Household Agency.

"The question is whether it is a right thing to change the unique tradition and history so easily."

The prince is the eldest cousin of the Emperor and is fifth in line to the throne.

While calls have been growing to revise the Imperial House Law to allow female monarchs, it is the first time an Imperial family member's views on the issue have been made known.

His comment appeared in the Sept. 30 newsletter, the latest edition of the quarterly, which is not sold, said Koji Okubo, an Imperial Household Agency staffer at the prince's residence.

In the essay, titled "Sea Lion's Chat," the prince suggested bringing back male royals who were forced from the old aristocracy after World War II, allowing the adoption of sons of former royals, or reviving a system in which the sons of concubines were allowed to ascend to the throne.

"Using concubines, like we used to, is also an option. I'm all for it, but this might be a little difficult considering the social climate in and outside the country," he wrote, noting that both the father and grandfather of his uncle, posthumously known as Emperor Showa, were sons of concubines.

The tradition ended during the reign of Emperor Showa -- known as Emperor Hirohito during his reign -- who refused to take a concubine.

Under the 1947 Imperial House Law, only males who are descended from emperors on their father's side can ascend to the throne. Under that law, neither Princess Aiko nor her future children can ascend to the throne.

The Imperial family is prohibited from interfering in politics under the Constitution, and they have no say over the panel's discussions.

Responding to the prince's column, one of the 10 members on the government panel said, "While it is private writing, I believe members of the Imperial family should be cautious in making political statements.

"We will just continue to proceed in our discussions toward the final report. The direction we plan to move toward will not change," said the member, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

The Japan Times: Nov. 4, 2005
    (C) All rights reserved
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

An option, eh? Tell it to my wife!

Comment

John, John, John, John, John...

I'm all for it, but this might be a little difficult considering the social climate in and outside the house
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

She might go for it if I become Supreme Ruler of Japan.

Comment

God, I hope Princess Aiko has a nice childhood...
          "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
          Drake Tungsten
          "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
          Albert Speer

Comment

Am I the only one who thought of this?

Given the advanced state of present-day fertility technology, a concubine would not be necessary.

All they have to do is extract 5-10 ova from the Crown Princess, fertilize them in a petri dish with the Crown Prince's sperm, select the male embryos, and implant them in one or more surrogates.

Surely, somebody in Japan is smart enough to think of this.
            ACOL owner/administrator

Comment

That doesn't sound very traditional...

Comment

For Christ's sake, this is the 21st century. Who cares what gender the heir to the throne is.

Comment

the japanese imperial household, for a start...
                  "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
                    An option, eh? Tell it to my wife!
                    Western women could never understand the needs of an ancient eastern monarchy.

Now us guys on the other hand...
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Based on a rather extensive research of Japanese films, I must conclude there are plenty of females whom I could envision being placed on such a pedestal.

Comment

My uncle got his arm caught in a concubine and ended up losing it. The arm that is. Or was it a combine?
                        He's got the Midas touch.
                        But he touched it too much!
                        Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

"Concubine Harvester" would be such a cool nickname.

Comment

Originally posted by Odin
                            For Christ's sake, this is the 21st century. Who cares what gender the heir to the throne is about monarchies anyway, except Civ2 players?
                            Fixed.

Comment

This "tradition" is bunk - succession thru the female line was banned only in the 19th century.
                              Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                              The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Working...
                              X