Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ex-NHL Coach admits that he's illiterate!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex-NHL Coach admits that he's illiterate!

MONTREAL (AP) -- Jacques Demers, who coached the Montreal Canadiens to the Stanley Cup in 1993 and was later a general manager in the NHL, admits in a newly released biography that he is illiterate.

"I could read a little bit but I can't write very well," Demers said at a party for the book's launch. "I took to protecting myself. You put a wall around yourself. And when I was given the possibility of talking, I could speak well and I think that really saved me."

In the book Jacques Demers: En Toutes Lettres, which roughly translates to All Spelled Out, Demers said his inability to read and write was the result of an abusive and impoverished childhood.

"All I wanted from my father was to treat me with love," Demers said. "Not to beat me up when I did something wrong. Not to beat up my mom. It really hurt me because he took away my childhood.

"The other thing I wanted to say was that if I could not write or read, it was because I had so much of a problem with anxiety because of the things going on in the family. I couldn't go to sleep at night. I'd go to school and I couldn't learn anything."

The book, which was released Wednesday, was written by Canadian journalist Mario Leclerc.

Demers coached the Quebec Nordiques, St. Louis Blues, Detroit Red Wings, Montreal and the Tampa Bay Lightning, where he was also general manager in the late 1990s.

He was able to hide his illiteracy from all but a few people by asking secretaries and media relations people to write letters for him, claiming his English wasn't good enough.

Even his wife Debbie didn't know until he told her after he put off writing checks to cover household bills for several days.

When he was a general manager, he brought in Cliff Fletcher and Jay Feaster as assistants to handle contracts he couldn't read.

"I never really was a GM," he said. "I hired Cliff Fletcher and Jay Feaster because I knew I couldn't do that."

Since leaving the NHL coaching ranks, Demers has worked as a hockey analyst at the French-language RDS network for the last four years.

For now, he is happy that he has gone public with his illiteracy.

"I have no problem saying what I wanted to say. That's what I needed," he said. "I've been carrying this all my life. I succeeded, and I'm telling people `you're capable of doing something in your life even if you have some big handicaps."'

The funniest part is that he won the Stanley Cup. Imagine how all the other coaches that year feel now!

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

But kudos to him for his courage
    Blah

Comment

doesn't surprise me
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

the funny thing is he wrote a book:l:

Imagine how all those losers at dispair.com who want to be writters but haven't written anything feel!

Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
          the funny thing is he wrote a book:l:
          Uhhhhh...
          The book, which was released Wednesday, was written by Canadian journalist Mario Leclerc.
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

once again, not reading the entire post has backfired on me
            Monkey!!!

Comment

Demers who is is illiterate vs. Bobby Clarke who has no soul. Hmmm a toss up.
              "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Ironically, in a thread about illiteracy .
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Quebec education system.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
                    Demers who is is illiterate vs. Bobby Clarke who has no soul. Hmmm a toss up.
                    Not so much. Give me the illiterate any day.
                    "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                    "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                    "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                      Quebec education system.
                      What?

Comment

Seriously, how can someone graduate Quebec's education system without being able to read?
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Not sure that he did actually.

edit : He was born in 1944 so that's not really surprising.
                          What?

Comment

How can you get past the fourth grade, even, without knowing how to read?

Can you drop out of school at pre-school in Quebec?

Comment

MONTREAL (AP) -- Jacques Demers, who coached the Montreal Canadiens to the Stanley Cup in 1993 and was later a general manager in the NHL, admits in a newly released biography that he is illiterate.

Or even the first line?

Comment

Working...
                              X