• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girls writes daily blog about poisoning her mother

Girl suspected of poisoning mother

11/01/2005
    The Asahi Shimbun

MISHIMA, Shizuoka Prefecture--A 16-year-old high school girl was arrested Monday on suspicion of attempting to kill her mother by regularly mixing rat poison into her food.

The mother remains in a coma, police said.

Police suspect the girl, a first-year senior high school student in eastern Shizuoka Prefecture, started mixing thallium into her 47-year-old mother's food in mid-August.

Her mother started complaining of a rash around then. Her health gradually deteriorated, and she was hospitalized on Oct. 2.

The girl also showed similar poisoning symptoms, and was herself hospitalized on Oct. 21.

Police suspect she could have been trying to kill herself, too.

Their other family members grew suspicious and contacted police.

Police officers searched the family's house and found a container of thallium powder in the girl's room.

When she had recovered sufficiently to leave the hospital on Monday, she was arrested.

"I have been aware that my mother has developed symptoms of poisoning, but I have nothing to do with that," she told Mishima police.

Thallium is a poisonous, metallic element used in rat poison and agricultural chemicals, and can be purchased online.

When ingested it causes hair loss and nerve and vision disorders. In acute poisoning cases, it can be fatal.

Sources said the girl gets good grades, and has also shown a strong interest in chemistry and biology experiments.

"She has been especially interested in chemicals," said the teacher of the chemistry club she belonged to, according to the school principal.

The girl had been seen feeding thallium to small animals, sources said.

She was also reading novels about murdering parents or colleagues with poisonous substances.

Police said they are considering a psychiatric test on the girl, who responded irrationally to questioning.

They also said it appears she had been writing to an online blog since August, under a man's name, about her mother's failing health.

On Aug. 19, a message read: "My mother's condition has been bad since yesterday. A rash has appeared all over her body."

A Sept. 12 message read, "It is almost impossible for my mother to move."

And then a later message: "My mother was hospitalized on Oct. 2."

The dates correspond exactly to the actual incidents.

Police are examining a diary she kept on her computer for a possible motive.

"We are puzzled by such an unpredictable incident," said Hiroshi Asaba, an official at the prefectural board of education.(IHT/Asahi: November 1,2005)
    I never liked blogging.
    Blah

Oh come on. We need a link to the blog.
    "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
    "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
    Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

I don't have a link. But google is always your friend
      Blah

Comment

Oh, and just read in another article that the blog isn't online anymore. Surprise.
        Blah

Comment

where is this exactly? Asia?

Comment

Sorry, forgot to place the link to the article. It is in Japan.
            Blah

Comment

Nothing the Japanese do can be strange enough to surprise me, NOTHING.
              Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Sounds like a Japanese version of The Young Poisoner's Handbook
                ACOL owner/administrator

Comment

According to a German article I read - she was indeed "inspired " by this movie
                  Blah

Comment

I've considered poisioning myself... anyone know if it is particularly painful?

does it taste bad?

I suppose I could mix it in a giant margarita or something
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Try how it tastes before you poison yourself
                      Blah

Comment

that's okay...

besides, poisoning is not high on the list of possible suicide methods...

gun, overdose, and plastic bag over the head are the front runners right now

but dont worry, nothing will happen any time soon, probably next year some time... I'm enjoying Civ4 right now
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

How about crucifying? In "Life of Brian" they say it isn't that bad. Of course, could be a difficult method for suicide.
                          Blah

Comment

how would I do that by myself?

plus, it sounds painful
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                              how would I do that by myself?
                              See it as a challenge
                              Blah

Comment

Working...