Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No fundamental right of parents to be exclusive provider of sexual info to their kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No fundamental right of parents to be exclusive provider of sexual info to their kids

U.S. court allows survey of children on sex topics
    02 Nov 2005 23:06:31 GMT
    Source: Reuters

SAN FRANCISCO, Nov 2 (Reuters) - Parents have no constitutional right to prevent public schools from exposing children to sexual topics, a U.S. appeals court ruled on Wednesday.

The San Francisco-based 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed a lower court's decision that found the rights of parents were not violated by a California public school district that allowed a psychological survey of its elementary school children.

Among the survey questions asked of the children were 10 with sexual references, such as "Can't stop thinking about sex" and "Not trusting people because they might want sex."

A group of parents whose children were surveyed sued the Palmdale School District, alleging their right to privacy and civil rights had been violated because control of their children's upbringing had been "robbed."

A three-judge panel held the parents have a right to inform their children as they wish about sex but do not have the right to prevent a public school from providing students with information it deems appropriate.

"Schools cannot be expected to accommodate the personal, moral or religious concerns of every parent," Judge Stephen Reinhardt wrote for the panel. "Such an obligation would not only contravene the educational mission of the public schools, but also would be impossible to satisfy."
    Thomson Reuters empowers professionals with cutting-edge technology solutions informed by industry-leading content and expertise.

…there is no fundamental right of parents to be the exclusive provider of information regarding sexual matters to their children, either independent of their right to direct the upbringing and education of their children or encompassed by it. We also hold that parents have no due process or privacy right to override the determinations of public schools as to the information to which their children will be exposed while enrolled as students. Finally, we hold that the defendants’ actions were rationally related to a legitimate state purpose.... …In summary, we hold that there is no free-standing fundamental right of parents “to control the upbringing of their children by introducing them to matters of and relating to sex in accordance with their personal and religious values and beliefs” and that the asserted right is not encompassed by any other fundamental right. In doing so, we do not quarrel with the parents’ right to inform and advise their children about the subject of sex as they see fit. We conclude only that the parents are possessed of no constitutional right to prevent the public schools from providing information on that subject to their students in any forum or manner they select.
    http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/ca9/newo...570AD0051320A/$file/0356499.pdf?openelement

I would be interested in the results of that survey

if sex was a huge ammount of 10 year olds lives.. then I would seriously question what is being done wrong?

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Need isn't around anyway, no need to post this thread.
      In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Do you hear that? It's the sound of several thousand conservative pundits' heads exploding.
        If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

Just because something is bad (which what the school did definately seems to be) doesn't automatically make it unconstitutional. If we got rid of this kind of idiotic thinking, American government would be much better off.
          Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Timexwatch
            Do you hear that? It's the sound of several thousand conservative pundits' heads exploding.
            Until it gets to SCOTUS . I believe a right to raise your child in whatever manner you see fit (as long as you do not physically abuse him/her) is a constitutional right under substantive due process, as articulted by the SCOTUS. I would think being allowed to opt out of a survey wouldn't be all that burdensome to the school (and it isn't like this is teaching of science, such as evolution).
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

How old are children in first, third and fifth grades?
              Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
              "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

The entering age of children into 1st grade is 6 years old (changes from district to district, but the cutoff for us was to turn 6 before Sept.1 IIRC
                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Killing it is the new killing it
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

So most kids would start at 6 and turn 7 at some point in the year. Add two for grade 3. Add four for grade 5.
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Wow. Pretty young to be getting those questions then.
                    Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                    "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

The San Francisco-based 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals...
                      Ah. This decision is likely toast, then, eh?

-Arrian
                      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
                        Wow. Pretty young to be getting those questions then.
                        Not really. I knew all the mechanics of sex by the age of 5.
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Hell, I had popup books with male and female genitalia in them...
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian

Ah. This decision is likely toast, then, eh?

-Arrian
                            That's what the 9th circuit is for.
                            Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

I think that public schools should teach sex ed and stuff...

however I do disagree with this decision

I think parents should be able to "op-out" their kids from such programs or surveys if they see fit.

but seriously, what is the point of such surveys? do you think 10 year olds are going to answer honestly? I was 10 years old once... not only do most 10 year olds not understand what sex is, they will probably not answer honestly if they have been abused.
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X