No announcement yet.

Shoe advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It may not be the shoes per se that are the problem but the reduction in blood circulation to the lower leg from standing in one position for a long time. You may need to do simple exercises while you are working that will increase blood flow.
    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Three things to consider when buying shoes:

1) Are they comfortable if I have to stand in them for hours on end?

2) Do they look nice?

3) Can I run for my life in them?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Harley
        Like Barinthus said, go try some of the various inserts for shoes. They have all sorts of gel and foam ones that may help.

Do you have an arch? (I am totally flat-footed, have been since birth, which is why I ask). Often the start of the collapse of the arch can cause all kinds of foot problems. Check into it, and consider getting a custom made shoe. They are several HUNDRED dollars, so you won't get off cheap. As an alternative, get custom arch supports.

Reference your back - how do you sleep? If you sleep on your back, I doubt this is an issue. If you sleep on your tummy, or side, have Mr. Tuberski look at you after you lay down, and compare how your spine's profile to an ideal one - use your old Anatomy and Physiology text for him to see how the spine should curve.

I don't know how to do it for those who sleep on their tummy, but on your side I have experience. I was at a friends with my wife at about your age, and after getting up from sitting on a big, soft couch - my legs literally just quit working. The lady of the house had this awesome book on sleeping posture.

Use a pillow between your thighs so your hip doesn't get cocked funny. The upper leg, the one not against the mattress, is at a different angle going into the hip socket than the one on the mattess. That can angle your hips funny, which then puts pressure on your lower spine. Not a problem in your twenties, but as you age this can become a real problem. You also want your legs fairly straight, as in don't tuck your knees up in a fetal position. The same kind of problem, with in angling your hips and lower spine oddly, can result. The same applies to the angle of your head to your shoulders, you want your spine fairly straight.
        How are you suppose to keep this position if while you're sleeping you change positions during the night?
        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

I don't change positions, which is part of the problem, I suspect. If you moved around - when you started getting uncomfortable, you would shift. If I get that uncomfortable, I wake up and cannot get to sleep again.
          The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
          And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
          Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
          Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

Well I change positions while I'm sleeping -- I don't wake up.

Comment

The woman, who works in the medical field, asks for a suggestion on shoe type and brand.
              You yahoos give her long-winded medical advice, along the lines of asking what time it is and being told how to make a watch.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Starting with boanns post, i havent found a pair of sas shoes that fit. I have a wide foot from going barefoot most of the time. There fore they trend to squeeze the front part of my foot.
                Mr harley, I am not flat footed at all. I know what you are saying my oldest son is flat footed and had to have surgery on both his feet to correct that probelm. He was so flat footed he was walking on the inside of his ankles. As for sleeping well thats a whole nother thread. I have looked into some insoles but havent found one that helps yet. i dont know of any ones that can help I actually dont even know alot about the darn things. i think i have narrowed it down to the part of my foot just below my toes that causes my feet to ache. I neeed more support in the front of my feet then the back. afer being on them alll day my back hurts something fierce. If while still standing and i am able to bend at the waist to kinda stretch my back it helps but it still aches. I am not overweight by any means. so i know its not a weight problem.
                Any shoe i buy is in a mens size so that isnt the case. Most of the womens shoes are not wide enough or dont fit because i am in between sizes. For being almost 6 foot tall i only have a size 8.5 foot for women. and a 7 in mens.
                I tried my boots like japher suggested and were comfy for about 4 hours till they started to hurt, i realized i can get this from my slip off clogs this way in surgery i can at least kick them off my feet and hang out in my socks and barefeet. Guess i will go out and look for new balance walking shoe. Any one with experience with insoles and no a good comfy one inform me please. My clogs have removable insoles and that night be cheaper then buying a ne tennis shoe i might not wear. the stockings are just as i tought tight elastic at the knees like granny stockings dont think i can handle the annoyance of that oh well any more advice helps thanks guys
                When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
                "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
                Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                  The woman, who works in the medical field, asks for a suggestion on shoe type and brand.
                  You yahoos give her long-winded medical advice, along the lines of asking what time it is and being told how to make a watch.
                  We like to talk.

Comment

unlike Sloww
                    who only adds
                    2 cents

Monkey!!!

Comment

Actually, more like one and a half cent.

Comment

I can't make the change though
                        Monkey!!!

Comment

Cut one of your pennies in half.

Comment

that's more effort than it's worth
                            Monkey!!!

Comment

Mmm.. shoes..
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X