U.S. Senate goes into closed session

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. Senate goes into closed session

Fox News got an article up first, or its the first I found.

WASHINGTON — The U.S. Senate went into closed session Tuesday after Democrats enacted a rare parliamentary rule forcing the shut down of the Senate so senators could speak in a classified session about the lead-up to the war in Iraq.

Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid demanded the chamber be closed so they could hold a secret session that they say was prompted by "misinformation and disinformation" given by the administration prior to entry into the war in Iraq.

"The purpose of this closed session in the Senate chamber is to finally give the truth to at least the members of the Senate, to finally call to task the chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee," said House Minority Whip Dick Durbin of Illinois.

Sen. Pat Roberts, R-Kan., is the chairman of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence. Ranking Democrat Jay Rockefeller said Democrats were promised that oversight would be conducted on the war, but nothing has been done yet.

Durbin said Democrats want to discuss launching "phase two" of an investigation into whether President Bush and the administration misused data to justify war in Iraq. He added that the decision to call for a closed session was also prompted by the recent indictment of I. Lewis Libby, the vice president's former chief of staff, on five counts of perjury, obstruction of justice and making false statements in the investigation into the leak of a CIA operative's identity.

Libby was not indicted for revealing Valerie Plame Wilson's name, but for not being forthcoming about where he learned her name and whom he told. The investigation is ongoing, however, Special Prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald told reporters last week.

A closed session is called when any senator demands one and a second motion is made. No vote is taken on whether to close the session. The last time a closed session was held was 25 years ago, Rockefeller said.

During a closed session, the chamber is shut to cameras, a security sweep is performed, and then Reid introduces a resolution calling for the launch of "phase two" of the intelligence committee's investigation.

"It is within the power of the majority to close down the closed session. They can do it by majority vote to return to the legislative calendar," Durbin said. "We're serving notice on them at this moment: be prepared for this motion every day until you face the reality. The Senate Intelligence Committee has a responsibility."
    Thoughts?
    Last edited by Ninot; November 1, 2005, 15:14.
    Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

whats up with the spy and the wife and all that stuff?

easy explanation please
    I need a foot massage

Comment

I just want to remind everyone that even given that Democrats were politically motivated in doing this, it doesn't mean that there was no legitimacy behind this latest move of theirs. Hard for Republicans to believe, but plenty of Democrats actually do have sincere concerns about their own country's involvement in Iraq.

I know, it's a stretch of imagination for some Republicans to grasp that, but it's foolish to claim that Republicans monopolize sincere concern about our own country.
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Brachy-Pride
        whats up with the spy and the wife and all that stuff?

easy explanation please
        Whole thread on the matter:

Cliff Notes version:
        Valerie Plame worked for the CIA (actually, still does but now a desk job) and she was an undercover agent working abroad for a CIA front company gather intelligence regarding WMDs a few years back. Due to the law, undercover agents have their identities protected for years afterwards so that the CIA can tie-up any loose ends to protect the agents and any assets they made. Joe Wilson, her husband, was a critic of the Bush Administration and it seems very likely that, in an act of spite, someone (actually, several someones) in the administration blew her cover. The CIA is currently investigating just how much damage has been done by her outing. Given that it is intelligence work, we'll likely never know the full extent as much of the report will be classified.

There's a bit more to this, but read through the thread.
        The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

I hope big things come out of this.

Comment

Originally posted by Verto

I hope big things come out of this.
            Its the senate, I wouldn't hold my breath.
            "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.†- Jimmy Carter

Comment

This is a publicity stunt. Nothing more.

I think it's more than a little underhanded too. A good portion of the democratic senators supported this war, so the only escape hatch for them is to insinuate that they were lied to.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                This is a publicity stunt. Nothing more.

I think it's more than a little underhanded too. A good portion of the democrats supported this war.
                On the basis that the intel they were reciving was correct and not manipulated.
                Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

Yes, that's their excuse. It's a bad piece of business that they've started.
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

pretty good excuse if you ask me, its not bad business to just call for an investigation of something that cost over 2 billion dollars a week and costs us even greater in human life.
                    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

I consider it unpatriotic, when the intelligence people briefing them were appointed by a democratic administration and were neutral.

Comment

to rebel against the majority?

Comment

No, not that.

Comment

What I want to know personally is did the adminstration selectively used intel to fix the facts around their policy and did Bush and his adminstration just flat out lie to the public in some cases.

Comment

The Republican Senators would have recieved the same intelligence the Democratic ones did.
                              "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Working...
                              X