No announcement yet.

Damn those activist judges! Damn them!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damn those activist judges! Damn them!

When the Supreme court voted to either unhold or strike down federal laws, here's the % of the time that each Supreme Court judge voted to strike down laws as unconstitutional:

Thomas 65.63 %
    Kennedy 64.06 %
    Scalia 56.25 %
    Rehnquist 46.88 %
    O’Connor 46.77 %
    Souter 42.19 %
    Stevens 39.34 %
    Ginsburg 39.06 %
    Breyer 28.13 %

Damn those damn dirty liberals for legislating from the bench and overturning good laws duly voted on by our elected representatives and being all elitist and trampling on the will of the people and whatnot!

Stop Quoting Ben

0.1/10

All laws are created equal, right?
    "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Some are more equal than others.
      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos
        0.1/10

All laws are created equal, right?
        I wasn't saying that it's stupid for strike down laws that are unconstitutional, I was saying that's it's remarkably stupid for conservatives to ***** about judges "legislating from the bench" or being "activist" when conversative judges tend to be far more activist than liberal ones. Do you disagree?
        Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

What does judicial review have to do with legislating from the bench?

MOMMA SAID KNOCK YOU OUT!!!
          KH FOR OWNER!
          ASHER FOR CEO!!
          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

It really does depend on the laws in question. Your assumption is that any time a law is struck down as uncostitutional it represents "activism." Some of these laws are no doubt unconstitutional. "Activism" occurs when a proper constitutional law is struck down, or an unconstitutional law is not struck down.

If Stevens, Ginsburg & Breyer are respectively voting down only 39%, 39% and 28% of laws that really are unconstitutional, but they let them stand because of personal belief, then that is activism.

Not saying they are or not (haven't looked into it deeply), just pointing out Bosh's base assumption is flawed.

Comment

It isn't Bosh's base assumption, it is the assumption of the article he linked to.

Maybe it's congress that is full of activists? Maybe we need less active ppl on congress? None of these rock the boat type ppl?

Legalize MJ>!!!
              Monkey!!!

Comment

Oops. My apologies to Bosh.

Comment

Originally posted by ajbera
                  It really does depend on the laws in question. Your assumption is that any time a law is struck down as uncostitutional it represents "activism." Some of these laws are no doubt unconstitutional. "Activism" occurs when a proper constitutional law is struck down, or an unconstitutional law is not struck down.

If Stevens, Ginsburg & Breyer are respectively voting down only 39%, 39% and 28% of laws that really are unconstitutional, but they let them stand because of personal belief, then that is activism.

Not saying they are or not (haven't looked into it deeply), just pointing out Bosh's base assumption is flawed.
                  The problem with political science is you have to use a measure to be able to measure "activism", in this case the researchers choose how many times they struck down laws, and since you can't measure beliefs I really don't think there is a better measure that is measurable. But this measured is still flawed though, since it seems everybody has a different definition for activism.
                  Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

No, you are missing the point.

For years now, we have been listening to righties moan about liberal SCJs "legislating from the bench" whenever they strike down a law as unconstitutional.

They suggest that it is somehow improper.

The post shows that, in fact, this behaviour is twice as common among conservative SCJs.

So, if the practice of striking down laws based on comparing their basis to the constitution is "legislating from the bench", then in fact conservatice indulge in this much more often than liberals.

Apparently it is only "legislating from the bench" if you happen to personally disagree...

Otherwise its solid jurisprudence?

Best MMORPG on the net: www.cyberdunk.com?ref=310845

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind. -Gandhi

Comment

"Activism" occurs when a proper constitutional law is struck down, or an unconstitutional law is not struck down.

The question is what is a 'proper constitutional law' or an 'unconstitutional law'. Reasonable people disagree sometimes on what constitutes what.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I'm surprised how many people refuse to acknowledge Bosh's point.
                        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

For years now, we have been listening to righties moan about liberal SCJs "legislating from the bench" whenever they strike down a law as unconstitutional.
                          The right does not say this, YOU say this.

This is what the right says.

"Activism" occurs when a proper constitutional law is struck down, or an unconstitutional law is not struck down.
                          Which is of course open to debate.
                          "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

The right does not say this

I don't know what you listen to, but yes, the right says that. They moan about "legislating from the bench". It happens every damn time a decision they don't like comes down.
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                              It isn't Bosh's base assumption, it is the assumption of the article he linked to.

Maybe it's congress that is full of activists? Maybe we need less active ppl on congress? None of these rock the boat type ppl?

Legalize MJ>!!!
                              Conservatives in Congress are very activist they're just activist about different things then liberals are. Just look at the Shiavo case.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                              X