X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaffes

Here's an interesting commentary on gaffes:

Watch Your Mouth -- Gaffes Are Fatal in Business: Matthew Lynn

Oct. 31 (Bloomberg) -- About to make a speech at a conference? Doing a presentation? Or maybe just sending an e- mail to your secretary? Then watch your mouth. Because right now one misplaced, unfortunate phrase could end your career.

The ``gaffe'' has migrated from politics to business. That's a shame. A ruthless, censorious hunt for gaffes has already restricted the number of talented people who want to go into politics. It may be about to do the same to the corporate world. In the end, we'll all suffer from that.

Gaffes are proliferating on the business pages. This month, Neil French, a creative director at U.K. advertising company WPP Group Plc resigned after he allegedly made remarks deemed offensive to women in advertising. Women executives will ``just wimp out and go suckle something,'' the Times of London quoted him as saying. French denied the remark, though he added that ``people who have babies to look after'' can't give the full commitment needed to be a creative director.

``Neil resigned of his own accord,'' WPP spokeswoman Feona McEwan said in an e-mailed reply to questions.

In June, Richard Phillips, a senior associate at the law firm Baker & McKenzie in London, quit after U.K. newspapers quoted an e-mail from his secretary, Jenny Amner. In the message, she responded to his demand for prompt payment of 4 pounds ($7) for dry cleaning to remove ketchup she had spilled on his trousers. Even though the secretary's mother had just died, Phillips was determined to get his 4 pounds back.

`Too Expensive'

In 2003, Matthew Barrett, then chief executive officer of Barclays Plc, got into hot water after telling a parliamentary committee that he didn't borrow on credit cards because they were ``too expensive.'' It was hardly a tactful remark for the man running one of the U.K.'s biggest credit-card issuers.

There are numerous other examples. In the early 1990s, U.K. retailer Gerald Ratner lost his job as head of jewelry company Ratners Group after describing his products as ``total crap.'' Merrill Lynch & Co. Internet analysts including Henry Blodget got into trouble after describing stocks as ``pieces of junk'' while having positive recommendations on them.

Plenty of politicians will have some sympathy for French, Phillips and Barrett. Government leaders are used to having every word recorded, scrutinized for any possible offense, then played up by hostile opponents.

Sexist Dinosaur

Business leaders will now have to get used to the same treatment.

The classic political gaffe has some interesting characteristics. It is usually an unplanned, off-the-cuff remark. It offends somebody. And yet it often expresses what a person really thinks, though isn't allowed to say.

Most importantly, the gaffe is deemed to make a person unfit to hold a particular office, even though it doesn't really have anything to do with whether they can do the job.

The latest business gaffes certainly fit that description.

French sounds like a sexist dinosaur, with a low opinion of women. You wouldn't want to be married to him. Or, if you were female, you wouldn't want to work for him. Then again, how does that disqualify him from writing advertising copy?

You only need to flick through some magazines or go through the television schedules to remind yourself that advertisers have always had an unrefined attitude to women. Indeed, at this very moment, there are probably some car manufacturers wondering if French might be available for some freelance work.

Man for the Job

How about Phillips? Certainly the ketchup e-mail revealed him as a stingy, peevish individual, with little regard for other people's feelings. Then again, how does that disqualify him from being a lawyer? If you had a tax case to argue, Phillips sounds like the kind of guy you'd want on your team. He wouldn't shrug his shoulders and say: ``Heck, it's only money. We don't want to hurt their feelings.''

Or Barrett? He may well be hypocritical, too covetous of other people's money, and overcautious with his own. Then again, perhaps that is what makes him the right person to run a bank. It would be more worrying if Barrett was so stupid with money that he blithely stacked up debts on the plastic.

In politics, standards have been set so high that the number of people who can become political leaders has shrunk to a tiny pool. Neither former U.S. President John F. Kennedy, nor former U.K. Prime Minister David Lloyd George would have lasted long today. Their financial and sexual indiscretions would have been their downfall.

Heads Roll

Right now, the growth of blogs and the Internet is doing the same thing in business. Every word uttered at a conference, and every e-mail sent through the office, can be recorded. It can be transmitted around the world in a flash. It is held up to scrutiny. Any gaffes are relentlessly exposed and criticized. Heads have to roll. Action is demanded.

Nobody pays any attention to whether it means the person is qualified to do their job or not.

We shouldn't look to businessmen (and certainly not advertising copy writers) for moral leadership any more than we look to politicians. It really doesn't matter if they are horrible human beings or not. It only matters if they can get the job done.

We'll all be the losers from the gaffe hunt. After all, when companies are run by the most able people, regardless of character, everyone benefits.

Meanwhile, if the urge arises to curse your colleagues, your products or your customers, go and wash your mouth out. It may well be a richly deserved description of them all -- but it will only leave you out of work.

To contact the writer of this column:
    Matthew Lynn in London at matthewlynn@bloomberg.net.

Last Updated: October 30, 2005 17:15 EST
    He writes about businessmen but it equally applies to politicians or other prominent figures. For instance there was a case in Belgium not so long ago about a secretary of state who was discovered to have spread incorrect information about her degrees. Her reaction to this "revelation" was deemed insufficient, a firestorm ensued in the media and she resigned after losing support of her party's leader. She had been in the job for only a couple of days. She hadn't broken the law, the "truth" did not made her unqualified, yet her position was deemed to be untenable. "Lack of credibility" they call that stuff.
    Last edited by Colonâ„¢; October 31, 2005, 21:10.
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Lack of crediwhat? We don' have that stuff in Croatia

Comment

I just like the word, "Gaffe."
      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Makes me think of Laffy Taffy.

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
          Lack of crediwhat? We don' have that stuff in Croatia
          There are times like these when I question whether the cost of accountability in politics and business exceeds the benefits. Perhaps thats the reason that developing countires have higher growth rates than developed ones.
          Visit First Cultural Industries
          There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
          Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Or perhaps it's that 0 + 1 is infinitely larger than 0.

Comment

I can't track with you, Colon.

A banker who states publically that his product is 'too expensive'?

A pol who lies about cv?

Do you want any standards whatsoever?
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Incidently, there were standards in DLG's and Kennedy's day. They were simply different from those of today.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley

There are times like these when I question whether the cost of accountability in politics and business exceeds the benefits. Perhaps thats the reason that developing countires have higher growth rates than developed ones.
                  I doubt it very much

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                    I can't track with you, Colon.

A banker who states publically that his product is 'too expensive'?

A pol who lies about cv?

Do you want any standards whatsoever?
                    This represents my sentiments, although I think that things said "at the pub" should be held to a lower standard.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

See, this is exactly what I meant.

See had said in interviews and on her site that she had a graduate degree, while she only had a secundary school degree. In official documents however, she hadn't done so. Being a minister also doesn't require a graduate degree. Hence she never had broken the law, nor did the lack of a degree made her unqualified to hold the office.
                      I perfectly agree that was a stupid lie, maybe she had some inferiority complex issues or what else, but a sufficient reason to oust her out of the job? To turn it into front page news? Gimme a break would you.
                      DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Most Gaffes you hear about today are usually nonexistant. Just creative/selective editing.

Bennet is a good example.
                        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos
                          Most Gaffes you hear about today are usually nonexistant. Just creative/selective editing.
                          Quite so. For instance, the Belgian minister of foreign affairs once compared the Dutch prime minister to Harry Potter in an interview. An insult. Major fuss in the Dutch&Belgian media, front page news, the Dutch PM and diplomacy protesting, demands for apologies. But what had really bitten people is that he initially reacted by saying the interviewer had misrepresented his words, which did not turned out to be the case. A lie. Calls for his head. Doesn't matter if the subject about which he lied was important in the first place.

Now, if you read the actual interview, you find that was part of a analysis about the volality of Dutch politics, amongst others comparing the staid Balkende with the colourful Fortyun. The wording was a bit creative and ironic (think Laz' posts), but otherwise he did not attack Balkende or his policies at all.

No wonder you got politicians ducking questions and speaking in hazy terms.
                          Last edited by Colonâ„¢; November 1, 2005, 12:30.

Comment

Claiming a degree on a c.v. that was not earned is a firing offense for all jobs of which I am aware. A web site is no different than a c.v., as far as I'm concerned. Maybe there are different mores in Belgium.

You hear about these kinds of things happening from time-to-time. Notre Dame hired a football coach who fabricated part of his c.v. Once this was pointed out by a reporter, he was fired on the spot.

Of course, c.v.'s are inflated often, in order to make the job sound more glamorous. It's a tougher question about where exaggeration falls over into fraud.
                            Last edited by DanS; November 1, 2005, 12:27.
                            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

It wasn't fraud. In official statements and documents she had never misrepresented her qualifications.

Sure people get fired over misrepresenting their CV's but only if it concerns issues that make the person unqualified for the job. If I wrongfully claim to have degree in engineering and I get a job as an engineer it's only normal I'll get fired. If OTOH I tell I'm 25 years old, not 23, and there are no age requirements what so ever, I'd be a bit overblown to get me fired over that since it does not make me any less qualified.

This is simply about perceptions. She didn't get rapped because she turned out to be unqualified, she was rapped because she supposedly no longer was credible.
                              I find it scary that people can get ousted out of their jobs simply because perception has turned against them, regardless of how well they do their job.

Comment

Working...
                              X