No announcement yet.

Hockey Night in Canada goes High-Definition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^^ That's a man who loves his Bryan Adams!
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

We generally manage to avoid too much Bryan Adams here in Toronto. Instead, we have Nickelback or Our Lady Peace as ever second song on the radio.

Is there a rock band that's a bigger bunch of posers than Nickelback? Or perhaps a better question would be, could there ever be a rock band that's a bigger bunch of posers than Nickelback? I saw an interview with them once where Chad Kruger said "Nickelback does not suck. You may not like Nickelback, but we do not suck". Not that I had any respect for him before, but that pretty much made him the single biggest tool in music.
      "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
      "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
      "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Nickelback sucks.
        ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

I will have to say that while both suck, Nickelback's latest song "Photograph" is infinitely better than Our Lady Peace's latest. The only good part of the OLP song is the 10 seconds of drumming at the beginning.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I had an undergraduate in one of the classes I taught a couple of semesters ago who, after finding out I was Canadian, came up to me and started telling me about how OLP was his favourite band.

It was with great self-discipline that I refrained from telling him how bad his taste in music was.
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Not sure I'd go as far as "infinitely better", but I agree with the general sentiment. It's been years since OLP released a song that didn't make me wish for even faster reflexes in terms of changing the station. Nickelback, on the other hand, reminds me of any house band you could hear if you walked into any smokey, seedy hick bar across Canada. I guess I can see how Chad Kruger appeals to all the white trash cougars out there, though.
              "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
              "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
              "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

CBC has confirmed that HNIC will be in Dolby Digital 5.1.

They also confirmed it'll be in 1080i, 16:9. I'd expected 720p as it's so fast paced, but I'm not complaining.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Don't particularly like Bryan Adams. Do like Canadian music generally, esp. Cowboy Junkies and the Hip. So you visited Edmonton, eh Asher? I thought I felt a disturbance in the force!
                  Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

What?

Comment

HNIC schedule updated detailing which games are in high definition: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/hnic/tvschedule.html

Here's a surprise -- every HNIC game that the Leafs play only (with an Edm/Van game as an exception).

Comment

It's the biggest market?
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)
                        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

It's a publically funded national broadcaster, and it's always been regionally centric.

Why are Canadian taxpayers paying for Torontonians to get superior hockey coverage?

Comment

I think they make money off hockey. They count on it.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Then I don't think it should be public.

I'm upset that there isn't going to be a single Flames game in high-def on HNIC, while virtually every Toronto game on a Saturday will be in high-def. That's hugely disproportionate and shows huge favouritism to the "center of the universe".

Comment

We can agree at least on one thing: Toronto
                                Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Working...
                                X