Hockey Night in Canada goes High-Definition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hockey Night in Canada goes High-Definition

The next HNIC will be the inaugural broadcast in high definition.

Will this spur massive adoption of high-definition TV sets in Canada?

No word yet if they'll just have Dolby Digital 2.0 sound a la Sportsnet-HD and TSN-HD, or if they'll have true Dolby Digital 5.1.

Either way,
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

My life is now complete.

Comment

Mine sure is!

I'm really pulling for the DD5.1. Imagine the hits.

And the crowd!
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Why did I have to residency match in ****ing Columbus?!

"My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Well, at least they have a team. You can still see the Wings sometimes.

Comment

Depends. I think HDNet, which does NHL has DD5.1. ESPN-HD is in DD2.0.

It's not that big of deal either way, IMO. The video is, of course, fantastic.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

We don't get HDNet yet in Canada, it's application is still in limbo in the black hole of the CRTC.

There is also the trouble that only CBC and TSN have nation-wide licenses to air games, while Sportsnet carries regional games. Of course, right now Shaw Cable (which is the major digicable provider out west) doesn't provide TSN-HD or CBC-HD (supposed to be added within 2 weeks) and only Sportsnet-HD.

Sportsnet-HD doesn't show any NHL hockey, as it is a national channel and Sportsnet only has regional rights to games. So the 4 regional sportsnet channels will air the game, but only in the region of the game, and only in SD.

Comment

I think most of the NHL games in the US are in HD. The local broadcasts are in HD through Comcast Sportsnet HD.

Cable providers without HD is fast becoming an oddity in the US.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

We could do that if they aired on US TV stations we got.

I get all US networks in high definition from Seattle and Detroit, but they never show NHL games.

We don't currently get any of the US stations like HDnet or FSN that show hockey games. Their applications to be carried in Canada get sucked into a void by the CRTC (Government media regulator) never to be seen again.

The CRTC is the reason most Canadians can't see HD hockey, while Americans can. It's a dreadful organization.

Comment

Anyway, HD is very kind to hockey. It should be a treat for you, although I'm not much of a hockey fan.

Comment

CRTC? Whats that? your FCC?

Comment

Yes. They're the people who make the awesome rules that, for example, 25% of music on radio stations need to be Canadian, subjecting us to Bryan Adams on a regular basis.

HDNet filed to get broadcast rights in Canada 2years ago (edit: actually, 32 months now), and it's still in limbo.

This website is for sale! ccta.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, ccta.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                          Yes. They're the people who make the awesome rules that, for example, 25% of music on radio stations need to be Canadian, subjecting us to Bryan Adams on a regular basis.

HDNet filed to get broadcast rights in Canada 2years ago (edit: actually, 32 months now), and it's still in limbo.

http://www.ccta.com/CMFiles/DetailsD...52004-4658.pdf

Comment

They also make rules that if a Canadian channels airs a TV show at the same time as an American channel, the American channel needs to carry the competing Canadian channel in Canada.

This is fine on paper, but the Canadian channels have a bad habit of cutting into shows to show additional commercials. The most famous example is the series finale of Dallas many years ago. In the climatic end sequence where we learn "Who shot JR?", they cut to commercials, so Canadians never saw the ending until a special rebroadcast...

Comment

It also means we don't get the real Superbowl commercials.
                              ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Working...
                              X