Urgent computer advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent computer advice needed

Well, this week I bought loads of components for a much needed computer upgrade, including a new case and power supply, motherboard, CPU, hard drive and DVD-player, all in all about 600 euros.

Thanks to my technologically savvy uncle, who is the computer guru of the family my computer was upgraded forthwith, including upgrading Windows 98 sE to Windows XP Pro. Hurrah!

Anyways, my computer was finally running and my uncle left my apartment late in the evening. I switched of the computer, closed the case, placed the case on my desk, plugged in all the necessary cables again and switched on the power again to tidy up some things. However, the computer did not power up again. I flicked the switch numerous times, opened the case, checked all cables, flicked both powerswitches (front and back) numerous times and still nothing. There was some power running because the LED light on the motherboard was burning with a friendly green glow, but the computer would not start up. And then I saw a tiny red switch below the power button on the back of the computer.

"Oooh, what does this button do?" I thought, not noticing the ominous music that started playing in the background.

The numbers beneath the switch said 230-115, and it was currently set at 230. I wondered what would happen if I switched it to 115, thinking that maybe it would allow my computer to start up again. I'm sure the more technologically adept people among us are now quietly mumbling "Don't tell me you flicked that switch and turned on the power."Well, to those people I'm afraid I have to say: "Yes, I did." In my defense I have to add I did check the manual of the case (in which the power supply was already installed) but nothing was mentioned about that switch. I guess they didn't count on technologically inept people like me.

Anyway, I flicked that switch and I flicked the main power button, having just enough time to think: "Heck, what is the worst thiing that could happen? I'm sure it's not going to blow up." before the the power supply blew up with a loud bang, a white flash and shortcircuiting every single electrical appliance in my room.

<----- Me blinking in utter darkness, finger still on the power switch.

Naturally I immediately switched off the main power and pulled out the power cord, as the smell of ozon started to fill the air in my room. After 3 minutes the lights and tv switched back on again (much to my relief). I switched it back to 230 and switched on the power again, only to be greeted by a weak buzzing sound and I immediately switched it off again. I then unplugged all the cables and opened the case to survey the damage. The power supply smelled like ozon and fried circuitry and had obviously left this world to join the Great Power Supply in the sky. I checked the motherboard and could find no discernable burns, nor did the board exude the smell of fried circuits. However, looks can be deceptive and so I finally come to my main question:

How likely is it that my motherboard (and other appliances: Videocard, soundcard, harddrives, DVD-player etc.), have survived this *ahem* embarassing incident. I have warranty on the case and powersupply (as well on all the other new equipment) but I want to know my chances before I start transplanting my motherboard in a new case. So, is the motherboard screwed or is there a chance it has lived through this accident unscathed?

*crosses fingers*

*Memo to self: Don't switch switches when you don't know what they do*

P.S: I now know that switch controlled the voltage, thanks to the Internet which I'm using from my parents'computer, since my own is obviously not working. Feel free to point and laugh at my technological stupidity *

/me points and laughs at your technological stupidity

Comment

I wondered what would happen if I switched it to 115, thinking that maybe it would allow my computer to start up again. I'm sure the more technologically adept people among us are now quietly mumbling "Don't tell me you flicked that switch and turned on the power."
      That sounds about right, yes.

It's possible your components survived the onslaught, but I wouldn't bet on it. Your best bet is to get a new PSU and try it again. But I am sorry to say that I think you just blew up several hundred euros' worth of electronics. No, warranty will not cover it.

For future reference, I usually put in a keyboard, the mobo, the graphics card and a memory stick for minimal operation and try to boot the computer from there - in case one of those components is broken you'll detect it right away, and if there's something fidgety in the power supply that will fry the system, you'll minimise losses.

I am not even capable of laughing at you, it would be like laughing at the death of someone's close relative. *hugs his computer*
      Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

For future reference, that was the voltage switch. You just told it to expect half the voltage that was put through it. Each component had twice the safe level of current running through it.

/me shudders
        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

How likely is it that my motherboard (and other appliances: Videocard, soundcard, harddrives, DVD-player etc.), have survived this *ahem* embarassing incident. I have warranty on the case and powersupply (as well on all the other new equipment) but I want to know my chances before I start transplanting my motherboard in a new case. So, is the motherboard screwed or is there a chance it has lived through this accident unscathed?

Quite good if your experience is like many have had here on the 110 side of the pond. Although, it usually doesn't result in exploding power supplies either, so...

It's possible your components survived the onslaught, but I wouldn't bet on it. Your best bet is to get a new PSU and try it again. But I am sorry to say that I think you just blew up several hundred euros' worth of electronics. No, warranty will not cover it.

Why do you say that bit about warranty?

Short of physical mangling, I've never seen a warranty turned down by a reputable dealer.

For future reference, that was the voltage switch. You just told it to expect half the voltage that was put through it. Each component had twice the safe level of current running through it.

Assuming the PSU passed anything on prior to going to Valhalla.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I'm sorry you blew up your new machine and hope you can salvage/replace some parts. OTOH, that was a funny story, especially since it's one screwup that I haven't done.
            We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
            If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
            Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
              Why do you say that bit about warranty?

Short of physical mangling, I've never seen a warranty turned down by a reputable dealer.
              Whoa, what sort of warranty do you have in Canada? I don't know about the technicalities, but if it's obvious from the components that they were fried because they were given the wrong sort of voltage, I don't really see how it falls under warranty. Warranty covers a manufacturer's mistake, not the user's mistake.
              Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

I've seen components that burst into flames due to no fault of the user (something went terribly wrong).

The best are when a machine is open in a test bay in the shop, someone looks over and there's a flame rising from the video card. Doesn't last long, but it adds excitement to the day.

How does a local dealer know what killed it?
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

nye is right. I had an "accident" with my motherboard (ASUS), video card (ATI), and CPU (AMD) due to a faulty capacitor on my motherboard, which fried everything else.

ATI, AMD, and ASUS all provided me replacements under warranty, even though it wasn't their fault (except for ASUS).
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I think there's a reasonable chance the only damaged part is the PS.
                    In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Happened to my friend one time as well, though he wasn't so stupid to fiddle with the voltage settings. It just blew up for no good reason. I think in his case the PSU was the only thing that died.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                        nye is right. I had an "accident" with my motherboard (ASUS), video card (ATI), and CPU (AMD) due to a faulty capacitor on my motherboard, which fried everything else.

ATI, AMD, and ASUS all provided me replacements under warranty, even though it wasn't their fault (except for ASUS).
                        "faulty capacitor on my motherboard" codewords for I wasnt grounded and discharged static electricity into the MB while adding a card or RAM
                        We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                        If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                        Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Get a new power supply and try to boot your system.

Did it boot all right when your uncle upgraded it? If the system wasn't tested, I recommend stripping it down to minimum and start testing there.
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Here's the deal.

You set the switch for 110 and then put 230 volts on it. (That's half the current BTW skanky). The input of the 110 is likely to have components on it that do not like 230V. They state their dislike by frying and blowing up and the like.

If it were a decent power supply, it would be isolated such that the input and output are only connected through thte transformer. The switches(FETs) are the only conduction path and they likely did not switch, so no power went to the mobo or your other components. The power supply could be repaired if you knew how to troubleshoot them, but it would just be easier to replace.

If something did go wrong, considering that you made the purchases recently, the hardware vendors would likely give you new equipment, especially if you claimed that they never worked.

If you are real slick, you'd get a new power supply out of it. "I don't know what happened, it was working fine then pop, it wouldn't be on any more. I even tried the switch (on/off)." Generally when returning hardware, try to act stupid. Intelligence will not help (Generally).
                            We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH
                              "faulty capacitor on my motherboard" codewords for I wasnt grounded and discharged static electricity into the MB while adding a card or RAM
                              Nope, it actually fried itself when I turned it on one day.

I have a link for you, but the site is all screwed up: http://www.asus.com/support/faq/qanda.aspx?KB_ID=85257

The initial batch of motherboards had bad capacitors that could spontaneously discharge, frying components. I got my motherboard on launch day (August 28, 2003).
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                              X