Ghostly Tales and Spectral Films For Hallowe'en

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ghostly Tales and Spectral Films For Hallowe'en

As Hallowe'en is but a few nights away, it seemed appropriate to suggest some relevant reading material and some suitably spectral cinematic treats.

One of my favourite writers of ghost stories in the classical British tradition is Montague Rhodes James, who wrote as M. R. James.

Some of you will know these lines from the introduction to 'The Rocky Horror Picture Show':

Dana Andrews said prunes
    Gave him the runes
    And passing them used lots of skills.
    - it is of course a reference to the wonderful ghost/horror film 'The Night of the Demon' ('Curse 0f The Demon' for our American cousins) based on M.R. James's ghost story 'Casting The Runes', about a warlock who uses his powers for nefarious purposes.

Here's what James had to say about what constituted the ideal ghost story:

"Let us, then, be introduced to the actors in a placid way; let us see them going about their ordinary business, undisturbed by forebodings, pleased with their surroundings; and into this calm environment let the ominous thing put out its head, unobtrusively at first, and then more insistently, until it holds the stage...

"For the ghost story a slight haze of distance is desirable. 'Thirty years ago,' 'Not long before the war', are very proper openings. If a really remote date be chosen, there is more than one way of bringing the reader in contact with it. The finding of documents about it can be made plausible; or you may begin with your apparition and go back over the years to tell the cause of it... On the whole (though not a few instances might be quoted against me) I think that a setting so modern that the ordinary reader can judge of its naturalness for himself is preferable to anything antique..."

"I think that, as a rule, the setting should be fairly familiar and the majority of the characters and their talk such as you may meet or hear any day."

and:

"Another requisite, in my opinion, is that the ghost should be malevolent or odious: amiable and helpful apparitions are all very well in fairy tales or in local legends, but I have no use for them in a fictitious ghost story."
    from his preface to 'More Ghost Stories Of An Antiquary'.

His collected ghost stories can be found in one volume, in Penguin or the Oxford World's Classics series, or as two single editions, 'Ghost Stories Of An Antiquary' and ' More Ghost Stories...'.

A series of films were made of some of his stories for B.B.C. television, so if you're lucky enough, try to see them if they're scheduled on a channel where you are:

WHISTLE AND I'LL COME TO YOU (1968)

Jonathan Miller's chilling adaptation of 'Oh, Whistle, and I'll Come to You, My Lad', staring Michael Horden.

THE TREASURE OF ABBOT THOMAS (1974)

Michael Bryant stars as a historian who finds the clue to hidden treasure in an old stained glass window.

A WARNING TO THE CURIOUS (1972)

A man goes in search of an ancient crown, unaware that anyone who moves it will be cursed.

THE STALLS OF BARCHESTER (1971)

Robert Hardy stars as an ambitious cleric who decides to advance his career by murdering his archdeacon
    Watch live BBC TV channels, enjoy TV programmes you missed and view exclusive content on BBC iPlayer.

The online ghost stories of M.R. James:

The dvd of 'Whistle And I'll Come To You':

M R James is one the greatest writers of stories of the supernatural, and Oh, Whistle, and I'll Come to You, My Lad is one of his darkest works - a tale of solitude and terror, and the dangers of intellectual pride.

Made in 1968 for BBC Television's Omnibus programme, Jonathan Miller's adaptation succeeds in capturing the chill of terror at the heart of the story. The bleak Norfolk landscape is superbly photographed by Dick Bush to instil a sense of isolation and unease from the outset, and Michael Hordern's performance as the eccentric, grouchy professor is nothing short of brilliant.

The DVD features an introduction by noted horror writer Ramsey Campbell, who also reads his own story The Guide, which was inspired by the works of M R James. There is also a reading of the original story Oh, Whistle, and I'll Come to You, My Lad by Neil Brand.

Video clips, stills gallery and information on 'Night Of The Demon':

Clever, subtle occult chiller by American director Jacques Tourneur

Happy haunting....
    Attached Files
    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915
Working...
X