No announcement yet.

Munch Museum's New Game- It's A Scream!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Munch Museum's New Game- It's A Scream!

This news item reminds me of a game that was produced in the 1980s in the U.K. :

Scream museum defends theft game

The Scream was stolen in the raid along with Madonna, another Munch painting from 1893.

Norway's Munch Museum, which was robbed of its iconic painting The Scream last year, has defended a new board game in which players recreate the theft.
    Two thieves threatened a staff member with a gun before stealing the Edvard Munch painting as part of a £10m haul from the Oslo museum last August.

The Mystery of The Scream game went on sale at the museum gift shop last week.

"It's a completely innocent game," a museum spokeswoman said. The painting and another Munch work remain missing.

The game is aimed at children over the age of six, and participants play the roles of either detectives or robbers.

"Some people think it's horrible to treat the matter as a game but we see things totally differently," museum spokeswoman Jorunn Christoffersen said.

Game 'educational'

Manufacturer Aschehoug said The Mystery of The Scream was educational.

"In addition to The Scream, the game has 36 cards featuring different artworks that the children know," said the head of Aschehoug's games division Magnus Skrede.

"It's a fun way for them to learn about the diversity of artistic creativity."

But Kaare Berntsen, artistic director of Oslo's Kaare Berntsen Gallery, said: "In principle I find it a bit in bad taste to make a game out of the theft of The Scream.

"My initial reaction is to disapprove of an initiative that helps trivialise a national and international drama while the painting is still missing."

The Scream was stolen in the raid along with Madonna, another Munch painting from 1893.

Police in Norway have charged six men with involvement in the Munch theft, but none has gone to trial.
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

In the U.K. a board game was produced in the 1980s which featured a bomb disposal crew. Alas for Waddington's, this happened:

It's a simple game, in which four bomb disposal soldiers (thick cardboard cut-outs) with names like "Major Disaster" try to defuse a bomb. The bomb is a red plastic shell in two parts with a spring inside. Players turn the top of the shell click by click, and eventually it will 'explode' and wound the soldier whose turn it is. Plastic bandages clip onto parts of the soldiers to show how wounded they are. Eventually there will only be one soldier left alive, the winner.

The game was launched for Christmas 1981 (!).

Unfortunately, that same Christmas, the IRA also launched a ferocious bombing campaign aimed at Christmas shoppers. Prince Charles made a comment about the game being in very poor taste, and I believe it was withdrawn from sale almost immediately. But not before my brother rushed out to get me a copy...

Will the Scream board game prove not to be one ? Will it be an instant collector's item ?

Will Gangerolf get me one if I send him the money (or alcohol/pickled herrings equivalent) ?
    Attached Files
    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Looks like they finally convicted some culprits:

Three guilty of The Scream theft
    Three men have been found guilty of charges relating to the theft of the Edvard Munch masterpieces The Scream and Madonna, which are still missing.

The court in Norway acquitted another three people. All six men had pleaded not guilty.

They faced various charges relating to the theft of the paintings on 22 August 2004 from the Munch Museum in Oslo.

The three convicted men received prison sentences of between four to eight years for their role in the theft.

Five of the men had been charged with planning or taking part in the daylight robbery, and the sixth had been accused of handling stolen goods.

International search

Judge Arne Lyng sentenced Bjoern Hoen to seven years for planning the robbery, Petter Tharaldsen to eight years in prison for driving the getaway car and Petter Rosenvinge received four years for supplying the vehicle.

Hoen and Tharaldsen were also ordered to pay 750m kroner (£66.3m) compensation to the City of Oslo to reflect the value of its lost paintings.

Stian Skjold, 30, who had been accused of being one of the two robbers; Morten Hugo Johansen, 39; and Thomas Nataas, 35, accused of handling stolen goods, were acquitted.

The paintings were stolen by two armed men who ripped them from the wall after threatening a member of staff with a gun.

They then made off with The Scream and Madonna in a stolen getaway car driven by an accomplice.

The paintings were moved to an unknown location and neither of the stolen works has been seen since, despite an international search and the offer of a reward.

But police are hopeful the paintings will eventually be recovered.

"We don't think they have been destroyed," said police attorney Morten Hojem Ervikaid.

"We know a lot, but I can't share all of that with you here now because this work is still going on."
    Story from BBC NEWS:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/h...nt/4964872.stm
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Bumping a thread that no-one cared about first time?
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

The title is... rather horrible.
        B♭3

Comment

Working...
        X