Why outsourcing makes you fail and smell of wee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why outsourcing makes you fail and smell of wee

We've had a few debates about outsourcing over the years, and I've consistently said I thought that the outsourcing of call centres and customer service areas to India or China was dumb. Seeing as my word amounts to rather less than bugger all in the real world, it didn't stop the grasping little whores who run our businesses deciding that savings in labour costs made it worthwhile.

Now it looks like the Bangalore Bubble is bursting. Labour costs may indeed be less, but seeing as your average Joe Public gets a bit narked about phoning someone more than two counties away, the thought of dealing with a wage slave in India was never going to be a winner. Customers hate it. They really can't stand it, and they're voting with their feet

In Britain's financial services sector, it's estimated that 50,000 jobs were lost to Asian outsourcing. However it looks like they're going to start coming back. Abbey National have announced that 1000 Indian jobs are coming back to Britain, after their owners described their 3 year experience of outsourcing as "an expensive failure".

They won't be the last. Other companies are currently finding that outsourcing is difficult to manage and deeply counter-productive. Like everyone else in business who argued vehemently against outsourcing on business grounds, I'm so smug that you could bottle me and sell me as an emetic.

Outsourcing? It's just sooooooooo 2003.
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Tell that to the workers at the factory in the next city that just closed down in favour of a new plant in Poland which employs three times as many workers at about the same cost.
    Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
    The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

They can get jobs in the re-opening call centre....

Comment

If you want cheap, you'll get cheap.
        The main problem with outsourcing is that you lose control of quality and a major argument before your customers.

Comment

Originally posted by duke o' york
          They can get jobs in the re-opening call centre....
          Considering that none of the call centres I've had reason to call in the last several years has been outsourced, I doubt there'll be alot of ones to re-open.
          Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
          The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

The thing with outsourcing is that you can't isolate a single function (like call-center duties) because it's always part of a process. To have a decent chance at outsourcing success, you'll need to outsource the entire process.

Comment

Sounds like a victory for common sense. Also sometimes the accents can be very thick, especially over a phoneline, which can make dialogue very difficult...
              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Outsourcing may not have worked out for this company, but apparently it works out for some. As long as the wage differentials are so huge, we can expect many businesses to try it for themselves. Indeed, good management of these outsourcing deals may be a major determinant in the relative competitiveness of some firms.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

outsourcing things like call centres where the people you outsource to are going to have to deal directly with customers, isn't a great idea.

however outsourcing your widget production to mr wang's widget factory will give you cheaper widgets, without making customers angry.
                  "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by Zopperoni
                    The thing with outsourcing is that you can't isolate a single function (like call-center duties) because it's always part of a process. To have a decent chance at outsourcing success, you'll need to outsource the entire process.
                    Yep, you are 100% correct.

The difficulty in these outsourced call centers is that you still need to effectivley manage them. That becomes rathar difficult.

Outsource Senior Management, I say.
                    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                      Outsourcing may not have worked out for this company, but apparently it works out for some. As long as the wage differentials are so huge, we can expect many businesses to try it for themselves. Indeed, good management of these outsourcing deals may be a major determinant in the relative competitiveness of some firms.

It looks good on the books, but once total cost of ownership is factored in, it's really more damaging in some cases.

Laz is right, outsourcing is so 2003. It will continue to be practiced, but won't be the big thing when companies need to cut costs. There has been a big backlash against it recently.
                      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney
                        outsourcing things like call centres where the people you outsource to are going to have to deal directly with customers, isn't a great idea.

however outsourcing your widget production to mr wang's widget factory will give you cheaper widgets, without making customers angry.
                        Yep, it's important that the call center operators understand the company culture, it's products, and the country culture they are dealing with.

That kind of knowledge transfer can happen most effecitvley locally.

Otherwise, what you end up with is a bunch of dispatchers who are relying on the home base to do all the heavy lifting. That means delays, frustration, and yes, increased cost per transaction.

Comment

A nitpick, there's a difference between outsourcing and outsourcing abroad. I don't think too many people complain about companies contracting out-firm cleaning services for instance. I also don't see why an Indian call-center would be any less knowledgeable than a British one. Most phone operators don't know too much about the subjects beforehand and they get a crash-course specifically to an assignment.
                          The language barrier may be an issue though, don't know about that.

I agree though that companies may be a bit prone to jump on the bandwagon, without weighing the advantages and disadvantages properly.
                          DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by Colon
                            A nitpick, there's a difference between outsourcing and outsourcing abroad. I don't think too many people complain about companies contracting out-firm cleaning services for instance. I also don't see why an Indian call-center would be any less knowledgeable than a British one. Most phone operators don't know too much about the subjects beforehand and they get a crash-course specifically to an assignment.
                            The language barrier may be an issue though, don't know about that.

I agree though that companies may be a bit prone to jump on the bandwagon, without weighing the advantages and disadvantages properly.
                            The language thing is what a lot of people use when complaining about call-center outsourcing. This is largely because, well, the quality of it is just so much less compared to a local call center not necessarily because those in India are more/less knowledgeable about a subject, but because communication is just so difficult sometimes. This is not to say that, say, Southerners may have a problem understanding me and vice versa, but many times the language discrepency is such a problem as to make the entire call counterproductive. For customers, the outsourcing would be fine if the English skills of the abroad worker were more akin to those they were serving (not necessarily a higher/lower level of skill mind you, but as someon else stated earlier, the matter of culture/accents is more important).
                            Who wants DVDs? Good prices! I swear!

Comment

Outsourcing manufacturing overseas works fine, because there are only a few well defined points of contact. It doesn't matter if 90% of the staff in a Chinese plant doesn't speak English if the engineers and designers do.

Outsourcing services overseas don't work.
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                              X