• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iraqi Constitution passes. Barely.

Final Tally Shows Iraqi Voters Approved New Constitution

By EDWARD WONG
    Published: October 25, 2005

BAGHDAD, Iraq, Oct. 25 - Iraqi electoral officials announced today that a new constitution had been passed by voters, enshrining a legal foundation for the future governance of the country and paving the way for elections for a full-term government in December.

Seventy-nine percent of voters approved the constitution in the nationwide referendum held on Oct. 15, the officials said. But because of the specifics of the electoral law and a strong effort by Sunni Arab voters in some provinces, the document only narrowly passed in the end, to the surprise of Iraqi and American officials.

The overall vote was sharply divided along ethnic and sectarian lines. The biggest support came from Shiites and Kurds, who make up about 80 percent of the population, while Sunni Arabs largely rejected the document.

It seemed, until the final count was announced, that the Sunnis might have rallied enough votes to defeat the constitution in a three-province rejection. Under the electoral law, if two-thirds of voters in three provinces had turned down the constitution, then the document would not have passed. Officials said on Monday that two Sunni-dominated provinces had rejected the document; the results for a third province with a Sunni majority, Ninevah, were not released until today.

Officials said that after an audit of the tally for Ninevah, they had determined that 55 percent there had voted "no" on the constitution, only 11 points short of the two-thirds threshold. If 83,283 of the 322,869 people who had voted "yes" had voted "no" instead, then the constitution would have been defeated. In other words, as in the past two presidential elections in the United States, the vote in Iraq came down to a small group of voters in one particular area of the country.

The document's approval "will convince many Iraqis who said 'no' to this constitution that the overwhelming majority of Iraqis respect it," said Hussein al-Shahristani, the deputy speaker of Parliament and a conservative Shiite politician. "However, there will always be terrorists linked to the previous regime or international terrorists who come from the outside who will refuse to accept this constitution."

With the December elections looming, political parties are already furiously jockeying to form coalitions. The parties must present slates of candidates by a Friday deadline. Already, the religious Shiite parties are negotiating to see whether they will run as one bloc, as in the elections last January, while Ayad Allawi, the former prime minister, is trying to form a large secular alliance.

The Iraqi electoral officials, at the suggestion of United Nations advisers, had also audited a random sampling of provinces in which more than 90 percent of voters had approved the constitution. The officials said today that they had found no evidence of voter fraud in those provinces, which were Basra and Babil, dominated by Shiites, and Erbil, a Kurdish province in the north. The officials said it is standard international practice to scrutinize vote tallies when numbers are so heavily skewed in one direction.

Turnout among Sunni Arabs was high in the northern and eastern parts of the Sunni Triangle, a marked changed from last January, when Sunni Arabs largely boycotted elections for a transitional government. Their participation in the referendum has been hailed by American officials as a positive step, a sign that people opposed to the American enterprise here, including insurgents, may be co-opted through the political process. But the widespread rejection of the constitution among Sunni Arabs also shows a fierce hostility toward a document that was seen to be written by Shiite and Kurdish leaders.

The last-minute approval of the constitution by one Sunni Arab group, the Iraqi Islamic Party, seems to have done little to win support among voters for the document. That approval came after American officials helped negotiate a compromise that would allow the constitution to be amended in the first four months of the new Parliament, to be elected in mid-December.

With that in mind, Sunni Arab leaders are now calling for participation in the elections. They say they fear that the constitution will lead to the break-up of Iraq, because it allows regions to separate from the central government into virtually independent entities. The Shiites and Kurds, who each control oil-rich areas in the south and north, pushed hard for the right to create autonomous regions.

Sunni Arab leaders say they intend to win seats in the new Parliament and push through changes to the constitution that will water down those powers. An amendment must be approved by a simple majority of members of the new Parliament before being put to voters for a referendum.

Much work remains to be done on the constitution. Major issues such as the allocation of natural resources and oil revenues still have to be worked out, as well as the exact language that will determine how an autonomous region is created. One Western diplomat said he had counted 55 places in the constitution that put off resolution of an issue for the future Parliament.

Province Yes % No %
    Anbar 3.40 96.96
    Baghdad 77.7 22.30
    Dehok 99.13 0.87
    Diyala 51.27 48.73
    Karbala 96.58 3.42
    Kirkuk 62.91 37.09
    Meysan 97.79 2.21
    Muthanna 98.65 1.35
    Najaf 95.82 4.18
    Qadissiya 96.74 3.26
    Salahedeen18.25 81.75
    Sulaimaniya98.96 0.04
    Arbil 99.36 0.64
    Thiqar 97.15 2.85
    Wasit 95.70 4.30
    Basra 96.02 3.98
    Ninevah 44.09 55.01
    Babil 94.56 5.42
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

any nation with those extremes of voting shouldn't be a nation

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

79% approval is "barely"?
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

3 provinces who say nay with more than two thirds of their votes and it's constitution bye bye

so yes, "barely"
        "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
          79% approval is "barely"?
          Given how the voting system worked, yes. Read the damned article, fool

Comment

As long as you don't start naysaying a 79% approval, I'm cool with it.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

there is a reason why they included the specifics of the electoral procedure you know...

you do, do you ?

Comment

You're both right.
                By the rules, barely.
                But 79% does translate to overwelming support.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by dannubis
                  there is a reason why they included the specifics of the electoral procedure you know...

you do, do you ?
                  actually they did so to give the Kurds a veto, IIRC, so its ironic how the final vote worked out.

It would be interesting for someone familiar with the demographics at the local level to go through the vote counts at the local level, to see if the story that all Sunnis voted no is confirmed or not.
                  "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Who cares anyway? Irak will exist as a country even if a majority of people belonging to one of the country's minority group rejects the constitution, right? I mean, it isn't that important that all the major groups that making up the country agree or sign this constitution in order for the constitution to be ratified and the country recognized on the international scene. As long as a majority of the Irakis vote in favor of the constitution.
                    What?

Comment

except in those regions where the sunni's live. which means that if things don't change this constitution is unfortunately dead in the water

Comment

Yet another grand milestone that will do little to change the facts on the ground. I wouldn't expect the insurgency to lose too much steam based on this, specially given the tallies in the provinces where the insurgency is the strongest.

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

actually they did so to give the Kurds a veto, IIRC, so its ironic how the final vote worked out.

It would be interesting for someone familiar with the demographics at the local level to go through the vote counts at the local level, to see if the story that all Sunnis voted no is confirmed or not.
                          What story that all Sunni's voted no?

One would assume that some Sunni's voted for it, thought obviously not that many form the looks of the overwhelmingly Sunni provinces.

Comment

Originally posted by GePap

What story that all Sunni's voted no?

One would assume that some Sunni's voted for it, thought obviously not that many form the looks of the overwhelmingly Sunni provinces.
                            this:

"The last-minute approval of the constitution by one Sunni Arab group, the Iraqi Islamic Party, seems to have done little to win support among voters for the document"

I certainly never thought that the IIP hads upport of the majority of Sunni Arabs. If say, 25% of Sunni's voted yes, that would say to me that the IIP probably DID more than "little" to win support.
                            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                              Yet another grand milestone that will do little to change the facts on the ground. I wouldn't expect the insurgency to lose too much steam based on this, specially given the tallies in the provinces where the insurgency is the strongest.
                              It depends what the no voters do from here. Its widely expected they will vote in the December elections, to get a bigger Sunni Arab block in the National Assembly for the promised negotiations on amending the constitution. Now some folks are saying they will likely BOTH vote, AND continue to support the insurgency, to get leverage in negotiations. That may well be the case. It will then depend on the course of negotiations. Of course that gives the Shiites and Kurds plenty of incentive to keep building up the Iraqi army, to counter Sunni negotiating leverage.

Comment

Working...
                              X