X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20 (in Turkey) fined for using the letters W and Q

Big Bird to be arraigned on Thursday...

20 fined for using letters W and Q

Tuesday, October 25, 2005 Posted: 1205 GMT (2005 HKT)

DIYARBAKIR, Turkey (Reuters) -- A Turkish court has fined 20 people for using the letters Q and W on placards at a Kurdish new year celebration, under a law that bans use of characters not in the Turkish alphabet, rights campaigners said.

The court in the southeastern city of Siirt fined each of the 20 people 100 new lira ($75.53) for holding up the placards, written in Kurdish, at the event last year. The letters Q and W do not exist in the Turkish alphabet.

Under pressure from the European Union, Turkey has improved language and human rights for its Kurdish minority, but the EU says implementation has been patchy and loopholes remain.

The 1928 Law on the Adoption and Application of Turkish Letters changed the Turkish alphabet from the Arabic script to a modified Latin script and required all signs, advertising, newspapers and official documents to only use Turkish letters.

More than 30,000 people have been killed, most of them Kurds, since the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) rebels began an armed campaign for Kurdish self-rule in the mainly Kurdish southeast of Turkey.
    Erm, okay.
    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Well. Quite Wacky, if you Question me about it. What makes them think this Will Quash kurdish activism?
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

WoW, that's Quite insane.
      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

So if I have a german restaurant somewhere in turkey
        and make a sign advertising my
        "Windbeutel und Quarkspeisen" (cream-puffs and curd)
        I´lll have to pay a fine?
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP
          WoW, that's Quite insane.
          A country Without World of Warcraft, and its Quests, What Quiet
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

A country Without World of Warcraft, and its Quests, What Quiet
            Quit Quickly noW. We Wouldn't Want this getting out of hWand. The W/2ery last thing We Want is eW/2eryone Queueing up to throW in their oWn W/2ersion, each stranger than the last.
            Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST
              So if I have a german restaurant somewhere in turkey
              and make a sign advertising my
              "Windbeutel und Quarkspeisen" (cream-puffs and curd)
              I´lll have to pay a fine?
              You'll bribe a few officials and everything will be fine

Nobody would bother you with it if you're German and a businessman. Except probably a few officials that are just looking for a bit of pocket money.

Now, if your restaurant was the headquarters of Kurdish dissidence...
              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

I guess poor Elmer Fudd better not join the Turkish sign industry.
                If you don't like reality, change it! me
                "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

It just shows how incomplete the Turkish reforms are at this point. They only legalized nonTurkish language radio and TV a few years ago and they have yet to change this law about Turkish only signs so writting a sign in Kurdish is still technically a crime.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

yeah, let them in the european union, what a joke!
                    I need a foot massage

Comment

They have made a very serious reform effort and have made a great deal of progress in a short period of time. I suspect they will continue the reforms during approximately 10 years it will take to complete the application process. The current law only allows a small fine which isn't that bad so it should be easy to update now that a deficiency has been noticed.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I fully support the crusade against the use of those two letters! Somewhere you have to draw the line! If we don't stop the Q/W crowd now, soon they'll use other letters too!
                        Blah

Comment

ah... venice

eh
                          ah... turkish regime....

Comment

Wanquers.

Comment

Working...
                            X