Your Favourite Espionage Films...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Favourite Espionage Films...

This is prompted by a showing of the wonderfully melancholy 'The Spy Who Came In From The Cold' on terrestrial television- a lovely gloomy black and white Cold War story of betrayal and double agents, starring Richard Burton, Claire Bloom and Oskar Werner.

For spy or espionage films we can have a fairly loose definition- so films that echo Cold War paranoia get in.

So, what are your Top Ten or Top Five spy films ?

Mine:

The Deadly Affair

The Parallax View

Funeral In Berlin

The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934)

The Quiller Memorandum

Three Days Of The Condor

Journey Into Fear

The Thirty-Nine Steps (Hitchcock)

From Russia With Love

Notorious
    Attached Files
    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Man, I don't know any of those

Maybe I should add them to my movie list
    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

PS MARIAH CAREY GLITTER GUEST STARRING BEN KENOBI IN HOT S AND M SCENE:

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

The Thirty-Nine Steps (Hitchcock)

Three Days Of The Condor
        YES!

'kiss me deadly' - which is also my favorite film ever
        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

The third man (Le troisième homme).
          Statistical anomaly.
          The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

17 moments of spring.

Shtirlitz
            Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
            Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
            Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Re: Your Favourite Espionage Films...

From Russia With Love
              Lime roots and treachery!
              "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Spy movies that I've come to appreciate since leaving the intel business (many years ago). Three by Le Carre!

The whistleblower

The Ipcress file

The spy who came in from the cold

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

Smiley's People
                We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Graham Greenes 'The Human Factor' was made into a movie, I blieve, I only know the book.

Eye of the Needle
                  "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                  "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                  "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

You can't mention spy without mentioning 007, From Russia With Love is a good place to start.

One movie that I really liked, but seemed to have disappeared rather quickly was Spy Game.

Comment

North by northwest

Where eagles dare (could techincally be called a war movie, but the real story is about spies)

Billion dollar brain (it's a little weird, but then, it's from 67 )
                      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Yes.

Where. Eagles. Dare.

Everything else pales in comparison.

Comment

Sneakers

Probably borderline, but one of the more fun recent 'espionage' movies.
                          mssv.net - After Our Time - Six to Start

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
                            Where. Eagles. Dare.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat
                              North by northwest
                              excellent flick

another I enjoyed was no way out
                              Attached Files
                              Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment