X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man throws away money in Worcester

From http://www.thisisworcester.co.uk/wor...S_LATEST0.html

MAN WHO THREW AWAY HIS MONEY

SHOCKED shoppers went cash crazy when a man dished out £20 notes on Worcester's High Street.

And for anyone who was not lucky enough to meet the generous city man on Wednesday at about 2pm, the Worcester News has tracked him down and can now reveal his identity.

Chris Aljaradat withdrew £10,000 from his personal HSBC account before handing out and throwing notes to astonished passers by.

The 37-year-old, who was born and bred in the city, managed to give £2,000 of his savings away as he walked past shops including H Samuel, Woolworths and Marks and Spencer. He then left with the remaining £8,000 stash.

When asked why he shared his cash with dozens of city folk, Mr Aljaradat told the Worcester News: "I am not really sure why I did it, but I just decided to help other people for a change and to try and make people happy.

"I was actually quite shocked at some people's reactions and had to say `go on, take it' to some. I don't think they thought it was real money."

Wearing a sticker that read Gouranga. Be Happy - gouranga being the Hare Krishna word for be happy - Mr Aljaradat added: "It was my own money, I haven't won the lottery or anything, although I'm not sure my girlfriend will be too pleased when she finds out - she's broke."

Barbara McOwen, of Blanquettes Avenue, said her friend was one of the fortunate shoppers who grabbed £80.

"He was walking along quite normally with an envelope in his hands. Suddenly he said `enjoy, spend it!' and threw money into the air," she added.

Andy Appleyard, who works at HMV in the High Street, spoke to Mr Aljaradat shortly after he had stopped giving the notes away.

Mr Appleyard said it was genuine tender.

He added: "It was very weird but he seemed like a nice enough guy who just wanted to make people smile."

A police spokesman confirmed the event was a bona fide bonanza for fortunate people.

He said: "An off-duty policeman happened to see the situation.

"We have checked it out and spoken to the chap and there is no issue with what has been done."

Mr Aljaradat added he still had the £8,000 and that he would be distributing it between charities.

"I have not decided which the lucky ones are yet, though," he added.
    He can send me those £8,000
    Blah

Let's hope he doesn't do this in Birmingham (England, not Alabama) or else the Asians and Blacks might riot again. [/PA]
    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

If he wanted to help people, he shouldn't of given the money to ****ing shopppers.
      Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd
        If he wanted to help people, he shouldn't of given the money to ****ing shopppers.
        Why not? At least they'll get some use out of it!

Comment

Originally posted by reds4ever

Why not?
          Because they are the ones who are going to throw it away.

Anyone who actually needs the money wouldn't be shoping in the first place.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Listen, if a people can sit in the sun for 5000 years and not be arsed learning irrigation then they don't deserve the money either!

It'd be like throwing the money down a well. Lets make some Happy Shoppers instead!!

Comment

Where's this guy when I need him???
              "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
              "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
              "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Originally posted by reds4ever
                Listen, if a people can sit in the sun for 5000 years and not be arsed learning irrigation then they don't deserve the money either!
                I am willing to bet that not one person that was given this money knows anything about irrigation, if they are even familiar with the concept at all.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

And I'm willing to bet that none of the people you want to give the money to know where their nearest Marks and Spencers is, if they are even familar with the concept of shopping at all!

Comment

Man, I was close before starting a "Closed Threads Appear OT-Wide!" thread, but I'm alreay at the thread limit
                    Blah

Comment

Money = happiness

Comment

Working...
                      X