Help on getting my car to pass smog.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help on getting my car to pass smog.

It is that time again and due to California's strict anti-air pollution laws I am having a hard time getting my car to pass its smog test. I gave my car a tune up (replaced distributor, spark plugs, air filter, and used one of those engine cleaners which are supposed to remove carbon deposits) but my car was still 10% high on unburned hydrocarbons. The auto repair place said I need a new catalitic converter but I replaced that 4 years ago and I really don't feel like putting $300 more dollars into an old car which I intend to sell soon.

So here is my question. I only need a 10% decrease so are some types of gasoline cleaner burning then others? Do some have more oxigenating agent thus allowing me to get that extra 10% down without shelling out $300? I'm hoping there is some sort of additive which I can put into the tank and get those last few percentages in order to fool the machine and get my car registered for another year. I understand that most cars can run on a 10% methinol blend in order to get lower emissions (abet at worse gas miliage) but I'd only need to put one tank full into the car before I run the test so that might work. Any suggestions?
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Blow the car up on Federal property, claim insurance money, say Al Qaeda did it.
    "Our words are backed with NUCLEAR WEAPONS!"​​

Comment

Last year the problem was carbon build up on the O2 sensor cause the car to run richer then normal resulting in my car failing smog. I replaced the O2 sensor for $200 and it passed but I'd like to avoid additional costs. Ideas?

I've been told that in the 1970's people would use a 2 parts water-1 part rubbing alcohol blend to clean out the cylinder heads and help pass smog. Supposedly you'd spray it into the intake manifold while the car was at 3k-4k rpms and that would help break up carbon deposits and aid in the car passing smog. If I did that and had some sort of smog lowering fuel or fuel additive do you think that would work?

Comment

I've also heard that slightly retarding he timing will also help decrease unburned hydrocarbons. The smog stations are supposed to check to make sure you haven't altered the timing but I'd never seen anyone actually do that.

Any idea how to slightly ****** the engine's timing?

Comment

Set the car on fire.... then you'll be forced to get a new cleaner car. Problem Solved.

Comment

Don't you have e-mails to respond to?

Well, it looks like the state does indeed plug a computer into the car to make sure your timing is actually sending spark and fuel to all of the cylinders so that idea is out. I haven't changed the oil in a while and supposedly that can cause a spike in unburned HCs and I've read that Chevron's gas with techronline is supposedly the cleanest burning so I'll fill up with that. Lastly I'll add one of those additives that are supposed to help pass smog and hope for the best.

Comment

What you want to be lonely on your thread, or do you just like thinking aloud?

Comment

No one seems to know anything about cars around here. I guess it was foolish to ask automotive advice on a gaming website.

Comment

Not really people just don't like you I guess. I do hun, so don't feel so bad.

Comment

High unburnt fuel content? Check a few things relating to air intake - even something as silly as the air filter which get pretty clogged up quickly...
                    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Can't we leave you alone for an hour?

PH, he said he already changed the air filter.
                      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Definitely change your oil. Other than that, and using a higher ethanol blended fuel + fuel/engine cleaner you've already listed everything I could think of off the top of my head. Maybe slap some duck tape on any holes in your converter.
                        I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Go to one of those "you don't pass, you don't pay" places.
                          Visit First Cultural Industries
                          There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                          Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Working...
                          X