How Now Mao?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GePap
    The review is poorly writen in my view. Kristoff seems a nice guy, but for me he is a bit of a lightweight.

As for the "Mao has the worst monster" crap-whatever. Those sorts of moralistic claims have little place in real and serious historical analysis.
    I don't think the book directly calls Mao a monster. But it does refer a lot to his love of violence and brutality. His own writings indicated a certain awe for the tyranny and the cruelty many countryside bandits engaged in when Mao was sent to oversee peasant revolts.

The book is certainly controversial because it shatters so many previous notions about Mao, most of them perpetuated by the current CCP's leadership's need for a hero.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
      As for the "Mao has the worst monster" crap-whatever. Those sorts of moralistic claims have little place in real and serious historical analysis.
      How many million dead citizens does it take to become worthy of 'serious historical analysis'?
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Mao
        Now, I don't want to engage Chang based only on "Wild Swans" since I haven't yet read this new book, but the review paints Chang almost as completely and totally against Mao. The truth probably lies somewhere in between, what do you think DaShi? You've read more than I have. Do you think it's fair?
        Chang has admitted that she is against Mao. If this is because of some personal family grudge or the results of the research she did or both, I don't know. Again, I can say that it is well researched. Even if their is bias, it may not really mean that what is written is wrong. I'm sure lots of historians will be jumping on this book either pointing out its flaws or praising its accuracy. In the end, you have to treat it like any history book and be aware that history is constantly changing.

I would caution anyone, however, to make a book like this their sole source of information about Mao.
        I agree. When I get back to the state's I plan to finish it and look at some others. I've wanted to read the one by Mao's doctor. What was that called?
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Oh wait, you don't have the book anymore DaShi?

How well-known as Chang as a historian? I'm actually a bit curious, as I've only really known her as the author of "Wild Swans" and am unfamiliar with her as an academic. Her writing is above-average certainly. Nothing superlative, but certainly worth a pleasure read here or there if you want.

EDIT: And, for some reason, when I first read this thread title, the first thing I assumed was that DaShi was asking me if I'd drank too much last night...
          Who wants DVDs? Good prices! I swear!

Comment

Kristoff says that he thought Wild Swans was a fluff piece, but was impressed with the Mao book.

However, he questions some of the sources cited by the book. See the last page of the review.

He says the book is a worthwhile read and enlightening in terms of the evils committed by Mao. The flaw is that the book overlooks the positive things Mao did for China.
            Golfing since 67

Comment

Working...
            X