No announcement yet.

Does EU beg Norway to become a member?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Finns are already in the EU, I'm afraid.
    Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
    The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

damn
      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Suomi is evil Finland, Ted

damn too (late)
        Blah

Comment

Why are you paying the Poles?

Comment

Re: Re: Does EU beg Norway to become a member?

Originally posted by germanos

That's brilliant. I hope there's more of 'em down there.

Comment

Well the money is for reducing disparities between the old and new EEA members. So the money goes to the 10 new EU members, and because Poland is so big (and has more problems?) it gets the most money. Basically Norway was pressured into paying in order to keep the EEA treaty after the EU enlargement
              I think the payments will stop after 5 years or something.
              Last edited by Gangerolf; October 22, 2005, 11:56.
              CSPA

Comment

Turkey
                We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Norway and Switzerland don't want to become members because they'd be required to be net donor nations and so would gain little but lose funds.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangerolf
                    Because of the EEA treaty Norway (along with Iceland and Liechtenstein) is pretty much an EU member already. A member with no influence on the decision making, that is. So I don't see why the EU would beg for Norway to join.
                    They're looking for another rich country to help pay the bills for modernizing the new eastern European members.

Comment

But Norway is already doing that. See my above posts.
                      CSPA

Comment

Well Gangerolf, is my reasoning correct?

Comment

Do you know any estimates about how much you would pay as a member?

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
                            Well Gangerolf, is my reasoning correct?
                            Yeah, it's like Last Conformist said, there's no begging but Norway could probably join whenever it feels like (unless France vetos it again like in '62). I don't think the EU really cares either way...

No, I don't know any estimates. But maybe I can dig something up. I'd guess about the same as whatever Finland or Denmark pay (similar size economies).
                            CSPA

Comment

Originally posted by Gangerolf
                              But Norway is already doing that. See my above posts.
                              But if you were members then you'd have to pay much more. Atleast that's what I remember the Economist writing a few year back.

Comment

I'm pretty sure Norway won't join untill it has run out of oil money for the French farmers to steal.

Comment

Working...
                                X