Is This Right or Wrong?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is This Right or Wrong?????

Ok so here is the deal, Tubers comes to me today telling me that his job, Which is mainatence at a hospital close by under construction, is telling him he has to go to a class for the new ac and heating system just put in. Hes like ok fine no prob. He usualy works 3 to 11 pm and thought hey i go to class during the day and can be at home in the evening for a week. Mind you they just told him this today, and told the class starts on tuesday, he is like ok no problem.
    Wrong answer they then tell him the class is in austin which is 100 miles from were we live, cause for those that know austin it is in north austin. he will have to drive up monday night, they will pay for the hotel, and he will stay all week. Problem his car is having problems and cant be trusted to drive that far. His hospital is 5 minutes away so thats not a problem if he is in universal city. They then tell him he has to find and pay is way there and get around while there and buy his own food. not to mention they said they would only pay him for 8 hours at regular day pay not shift diff since he works 3 to 11 all the time and gets that anyway, or any pay for the other 16 hours he is away from his family. They did tell him they would reimburse him for dinner recipts but that is it. What kinda of crap is this.
    I told him to tell them to **** off he cant go. Then I asked him what is reasonable to do this. I think he should be allowed to use the co truck they use while at work for the week and that they should at least pay him call pay and gas money while he is there
    What do you think
    When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
    "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
    Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

doesn't sound fair...

burn the place down
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

If the company is requiring him to attend, they should pay for all his travel and accomodation expenses. 100 miles is well outside of the reasonable range to expect an employee to pay for their own gas. They should also cover all of his meal expenses while he is there.

However, they're under no obligation to pay him extra for the time. Assuming he's in class 8 hours a day and that's all he's doing, that's what he should be paid for.
      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

They'll reimburse dinner receipts?

Find the fanciest restaurants in Austin. The dodo eggs sprinkled with caviar are good but my personal favorite is fried bald eagle
        meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
          If the company is requiring him to attend, they should pay for all his travel and accomodation expenses. 100 miles is well outside of the reasonable range to expect an employee to pay for their own gas. They should also cover all of his meal expenses while he is there.

However, they're under no obligation to pay him extra for the time. Assuming he's in class 8 hours a day and that's all he's doing, that's what he should be paid for.
          He is an 8 hour a day unless he is on call which he is at their becon call for the time he or nobody else is ther
          When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.

Comment

He's getting screwed. If they're willing to pony up for a hotel, then the trip is clearly not local. They should thus be paying, at a minimum, for his transportation as well as his lodging. He should also have some kind of per diem that would go toward covering his meals and incidental expenses.

There's got be be a governemnt office -- EOC, probably -- that can tell you more, but this just doen't seem right, or legal.
            "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Mind you this is the same company that had me flying to go harvest organs and paid no hazzard pay but yet i had to fly accross the state in cracker jack airplane and like it. I got paid for the time i was at work if i was on the plane or harvesting i was being paid. we only stayed over one time and that they paid me call pay for which is 2 bucks an hour. he is getting shafted

Comment

Thats what i told him rufus he says they said its part of his job, I am like where is it written i will travel to suit you . He say its says in other job descriptions that you will do any other thing not listed above that is asked of ya

Comment

Having "other duties as assigned" in one's job description does not allow a company to run roughshod over an employee. The bottom line is that he in no way should have to pay for his travel expenses to Austin and back nor for his meals. It's a given he'll have to eat out, which he normally doesn't do, and it's more expensive. The company is indeed screwing him.
                  Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs. Tuberski
                    Thats what i told him rufus he says they said its part of his job, I am like where is it written i will travel to suit you . He say its says in other job descriptions that you will do any other thing not listed above that is asked of ya
                    So if they order him to go to New York for a week, put himself up in a hotel at $200/night, and pay for his own meals, he has to? Bull. I know nothing about labor laws, but such a stipulation in a contract cannot possibly be binding, and there must be government regs in place to prevent this kind of abuse. I'd check with teh federal and state departments of Labor.
                    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

I told him to tell the boss he wasnt going to go unless things are met. He is getting ****ed, I will check with the things yalll mentioned. hopefully i can get it all done before monday. He is telling me he dont want to go but thinks he will be fired if he dont go . This isnt possible is it

Comment

Yep, normal expenses are:

1) Pay for lodging
                        2) Pay for 3 meals per day
                        3) Pay for transportation costs

4) Salary is NOT adjusted

Rufus is right he is getting screwed.

We just have to figure out the proper way for him to address the issue. If his boss is a reasonable guy, he should be able to talk to him about it.

There is always the option to take it to a Human Resources person, also.
                        We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Unpaid job expenses can be deducted, so even if the company doesn't pay, you can recoup some of it next year come tax time.
                          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

The class is on Seimen's A/C controls. It is the second class that I wil attend. The first was in San Antonio, so no problem.

It's the way I found out that really bothers me:

My supervisor and I are helping our secretary and the secretary from hospital administration remove a bunch of crap from cabinets that were about to be torn down.

Our secretary tells my boss, "I sent you an e-mail telling you that Scott won't be in next week."

I say, "I'm not taking vacation."

"Oh you have school, Seimen's controls."

"Oh, that's cool I'll get to come home in the evening and be with my wife."

"No, it's in Austin. You'll have your own room with a kitchenette and everything, you can have your wife go down if you want."

I'm thinking well it's a little longer drive than from here for Mrs. Tubes to go to work, but it could be fun.

Oh no, it's on the north side of Austin about 60 miles from where she works. If any of you have driven in Austin they can attest to how long a drive that would be..... at least 2 hours with the crappy Austin traffic.

For those who live in Austin, according to Mapquest, my hotel is by an IBM Building or campus.

I'm seriously considering, looking for a new job where these seimen's controls are a bonus to have, it will serve them right.

ACK!
                            Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                              Unpaid job expenses can be deducted, so even if the company doesn't pay, you can recoup some of it next year come tax time.
                              Can you? I was under the impression that the standard deduction was so high that you really had to have a sh*tload of deductions before it was worth it to itemize.

Comment

Working...
                              X