Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avian Influenze - some breathing room

Update to my previous threads.

Things are not as bad as was feared, thank God for modern DNA sequencing. This applies in the case that the H5N1 strain directly mutates into a strain that can infect humans. They have reconstructed the 1918 killer pandemic influenza vaccine and genetically sequenced it. They have also compared it to H5N1.

Source

Experts worry the new Asian bird flu, known as H5N1, could become the next pandemic.

A bird virus can become a pandemic in one of two ways. It can infect a person or animal also infected with a human flu virus and swap genes with the human virus, creating a deadly and contagious disease. Or it can gradually change its genetic code over a long period of time, as happened with the 1918 virus.

In the reconstructed virus, researchers identified a series of key mutations in each of the virus' eight genes that made it both lethal and highly contagious among humans. Those mutations should provide a road map for scientists tracking H5N1, according to Treanor.

Scientists also created hybrid viruses that had some but not all of the mutations found in the 1918 virus. The hybrids were far less deadly than the pure 1918 virus in lab mice, suggesting that an avian flu has to undergo an extensive series of mutations before it can launch a deadly pandemic.

''There wouldn't be a single mutation that suddenly changes a virus from being inefficient to being a killer,'' Treanor said.

While some strains of H5N1 have shown a few of the mutations found in the 1918 flu, the mutations have been scattered among different samples -- one mutation in one sample, a different mutation in another, according to Taubenberger.

''They share the same changes as 1918, but where in each protein of 1918 there may be as many as four or five or six changes, the H5 viruses only ever show one change or so per protein,'' he said. ``So it suggests that . . . they're early on in this process.''

However, upon further research I checked and it's not quite such a positive picture. source

There are both frightening and promising implications in last week's announcement that research teams have deciphered the genetic sequence of the devastating 1918 influenza virus and have synthesized the lethal germ in a high-security laboratory. The feat is a scientific tour de force that should provide important insights on the best way to respond to the avian influenza strain now circulating in Asia, which has killed large numbers of birds and about 60 people in four countries.

The two most recent flu pandemics, in 1957 and 1968, were caused by human flu viruses that picked up some bird flu components. Now it turns out that the far more lethal 1918 virus, which killed perhaps 20 million to 100 million people, was most likely an avian strain that jumped directly into humans. The genetic changes that allowed it to do so are already beginning to appear in the current avian strain, known as H5N1. That gives today's avian strain two routes to wreak havoc among humans. It could either mix some of its genes with human influenza, like the 1957 and 1968 viruses, or it could mutate on its own to become easily transmissible among humans, like the 1918 virus.

So far, the avian virus has rarely jumped from birds to humans and seldom spread from one human to another. But it may be traveling down the same evolutionary path as the 1918 virus. Two U.S. health officials said that the H5N1 virus has acquired five of the 10 genetic sequence changes associated with human-to-human transmission of the 1918 virus.

Now in other pandemics you had the case of a human influenza virus picking up traits from an avian influenze virus. The efects are much less dangerous. source

• 1957-58, "Asian flu" was first identified in China in late February 1957; it spread to the United States by June and caused about 70,000 deaths

• 1968-69, "Hong Kong flu" was first detected in Hong Kong in early 1968 and spread to the United States later that year, causing approximately 34,000 deaths. This virus is still in circulation today.

They've also discovered why the 1918 Pandemic was such a killer.
    source

The researchers also refined their focus on one gene, the HA gene, that encodes the hemagglutinin surface protein that help the virus attach to cells and multiply. The 1918 virus is deadly with the HA gene, but when the gene was replaced, it was not virulent, Tumpey said.

The virus's genetic properties may explain why it was able to settle deeper in the lungs than most current flu strains, causing the drowning condition, he said.

In further development, they are spending a small amount of money to work on recombinant DNA models for vaccine production. A problem with an avian flu that jump species is that they kill bird eggs. Since that is how we currently culture human flu vaccine - I hope you see the problem. The good news is that they are spending the money, the bad news is that it is a small amount being spent as though there is no looming problem. Sort of like not upgrading those levees at New Orleans, the issue is not IF we will have a flu pandemic, but when, and if it is a human infuenza with avian influenza genes, or an avian influenza that jumps species aka 1918.

Also the US and Europe are now stockpiling anti-virals. The bad news is the the influenza virus can rapidly develop resistance, and that you have to start treatment immediately. This is a problem because it is not necessarily clear that you have the flu, versus a cold or some other illness, during that critical time.

Plus, the amounts involved in the USA would treat roughly 1% of the US population. That wouldn't even treat all the critical personel - physicians, nurses, polices, firemen, etc. Some European countries have a little bit more, but nobody has stockpiled enough to treat even half of their population.

With globalization proper reponse will give a government days, maybe weeks, to quarantine all travel from the affected countries. NOBODY appears to have a series of laws with the necessary triggers in effect that it would work. So even with the new work, there are no indications that vaccines, that currently take six months to develop/culture, will be available quickly enough. It's not quite at the level of the initial non-response to AIDS - yet.

Further reading - warning HIGHLY TECHNICAL
    The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
    And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
    Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
    Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Well, some scientists found a virus in some dead person who is believed to be killed by the 1918 flu, played around with it and compared it to H5N1.

There are two questions:

1. I am not sure that they could conclusively show that the person was killed by the flu.

2. Even if they can do 1., finding some virus in the person's lung doesn't mean that's the flu virus.

Of course, I am not a doctor, so any answers to these are greatly appreciated.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
      Well, some scientists found a virus in some dead person who is believed to be killed by the 1918 flu, played around with it and compared it to H5N1.

There are two questions:

1. I am not sure that they could conclusively show that the person was killed by the flu.

2. Even if they can do 1., finding some virus in the person's lung doesn't mean that's the flu virus.

Of course, I am not a doctor, so any answers to these are greatly appreciated.
      On one, the first point involves that it was a young person who they knew from the tombstone died during the right period. I also believe they could look for the medical evidence of what seemed to be wrong with the frozen body in question.

The second point covers both questions. Researchers know EXACTLY what modern flu viruses look like when they examine its DNA, and they also know what other viruses look like DNA wise. A brief glance at the DNA should be enough to tell if its close enough to be in the flu virus catagory or another type of virus entirely. Even with its mutations, the various flu viruses do share alot of simularities.

Comment

Two of the sources were from preserved lung specimens from the US military. They had been taken from the autopsies of two soldiers killed by the pandemic.

If memory serves me correcty, the young woman was a member of a village almost wiped out by the Spanish flu. Since the viruses found from all three sources permitted them to reassemble an extinct, extremely deadly avian flu virus. It's about as good as it gets, and it is a phenominal piece of forensic archeology meets DNA sequencing.
        The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
        And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
        Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
        Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

Working...
        X