X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Never mind that the pre-arranged play didn't count"
    Monkey!!!

Comment

I see. Well, it's less life-affirming than I thought it would be.
      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Listen, guys.

A) the points score are irrelevant, affected the game none.

B) it speaks highly not only of th eboy's coach, but also the other team and their coach.

C) he wasn't talking about the team they played not being very good. He was talking about visiting coaches at the high school, there recruiting.

D) his statements about the visiting schools "not being very good", could well be correct.

I first looked at Japher's initial reply, and thougt it must be a joke, Japher being a funny guy; but just in case, went ahead and defined the condition.
        He must have simply misunderstood.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Yes- but wouldn't it be brilliant if it had been under competitive conditions?

One day it'll happen. Expectations for Downs kids are rising steadily.
          The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

There was a story on ESPN last year about a kid with downs syndrome that was on the high school football team.

With his team down something like 41-9, the coach called time out to let the kid with DS go in and kneel down for the final play.

He went to the other coach and told him what he was going to do. The coach of the other team said "Why don't we just let him score?"

Final score: 41-16.

The coach of the other team showed a lot of class.

ACK!
            Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
              Yes- but wouldn't it be brilliant if it had been under competitive conditions?

One day it'll happen. Expectations for Downs kids are rising steadily.
              Aparently one coach of a youth team does:

Downs Syndrome and Football
              By: Dum Coach

You can put a downs child at center. He hikes the ball when the QB taps him. If his reactions are delayed - And they probably will be - the QB taps him early. In my system, if the kid can learn a snap count of 1-2-3, we have the QB call "Hut One! Hut Two! Hut Three!" The line moves on 1, 2, or 3 but the Downs child moves on the "Hut!" before the snap number. That way his delayed response will get him/her off the line with everyone else. A Downs child that can learn the snap count can be an effective player. If he can't learn this I can also place him at SE and tell him to watch the ball for the snap and then go block the deepest defender they see inside them. I did this with a Downs kid and took him to our league's Super Bowl. I do not play Downs children on defense. I do, however,let them run the ball in practice. They have no clue what they're doing but they have GREAT FUN - ten times more fun than the other kids running the ball even though they're likely to run the wrong way. Don't ask me why. Expect ROARS OF LAUGHTER from a Downs kid running with a football. Next, if you're only going to play a Down's child for one half a game, always play him in the first half and never the second. His attention span won't let him sit on the bench that long. In the second half, his mother can take him off the bench and entertain him (Buy him a hotdog or whatever). But keep him off the bench for more than 5 minutes. Last, but not least, you should ask for a team coach to VOLUNTEER to take him. Any coach that volunteers to take a Downs child will treat him right. A coach that has the kid forced on him may not do so.
              Sorry for the long delay in getting back.

ACK!
              Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Yeah, it's a touching story. It shows that people with Down's syndrome can still live a fulfilling life and have dreams just like the rest of us. Yet in the UK it's still acceptable to abort children with Down's syndrome at any stage of a pregnancy.
                STDs are like pokemon... you gotta catch them ALL!!!

Comment

Nice story. Its aalways nice to be able to do something that is so easy but yet can bring huge joy. That one run will probably be something that that kid talks about and remembers for years.
                  You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by our_man
                    Yeah, it's a touching story. It shows that people with Down's syndrome can still live a fulfilling life and have dreams just like the rest of us. Yet in the UK it's still acceptable to abort children with Down's syndrome at any stage of a pregnancy.
                    There is no doubt that all kinds of people with all kinds of disabilities can lead lives they find full and rewarding. At the same time though, such children have such special needs and requirements that it is tough for me to judge a parent that chooses to abort. ( This is because I generally but hesitantly support a woman's right to choose)

On our first child, we did not even have the testing for Downs done. We decided there was no way we could abort a viable baby. Now that we have a child, I don't know what we would do on a subsequent pregnancy. A Downs child can be a lifelong commitment. My wife's family has a 35 year old in it with a similar syndrome to Downs-- She's still at home with he parents who are in their 70s. Some people are just not willing to sign on for that workload even though it may bring many joys along the way
                    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

I saw too many missed tackles on that play, who is the defensive coordinator for that team???
                      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Comment

Working...
                        X