No announcement yet.

This just in: Huge cold countries use more energy -> more pollution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mexico is set to pass America in obesity ... and it's not because the Yanks are getting any thinner.
    Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
    The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
      It usually doesn't make sense to, say, fly from Calgary to Edmonton and back unless your company is paying for it.
      You don't have coaches?
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

No link to the study?

I think the problem with this study is that pollution is calculated per capita, while I think it should be per square kilometer. (assumption)
        We do much better in Europe, we _have to_ do much better, because our population density is much higher. If we'd pollute the same (per capita) as canadians, we'd have serious problems.

Still, progress to reduce environmental burden is a good progress, so I hope Canada will better its record nonetheless.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
          VJ, if you want a real demonstration of CNN competence, here it is:

Clarke's age probably counted against him, as did his pro-European views in an overwhelmingly neuroscientist party.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe...eut/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by Atahualpa
            No link to the study?

I think the problem with this study is that pollution is calculated per capita, while I think it should be per square kilometer. (assumption)
            Because of course it's meaningful to count in millions of frozen uninhabited square kilometers.

Comment

Does the study take into account that it does get kinda cold every now and then over here?
              What?

Comment

What who called Montréal «Girliemanville ?»

Yeah ! I know - Well Canada's pollution is all due to the Canadians oil digging cowboys in Alberta and the Ontarians. Nothing to do with Québec's hydroelectricity and wind energy ran economy !
                «Vive le Québec libre» - Charles de Gaulle

Comment

Originally posted by Richelieu
                  Does the study take into account that it does get kinda cold every now and then over here?
                  I reckon countries such as Sweden and Norway get cold too.
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

And I reckon you're completely ignoring the facts posted in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

That's what aeroplanes are for.
                      Gee, thanks for explaining to me that we should mass transport goods by airplanes instead of by truck or rail (which costs 10% as much)

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Killing it is the new killing it
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

aeroplanes also produce far more pollution then cars

JM
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN
                        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

As a means of hauling goods, yes

As a means of transporting people they come out close to even (favouring the airplane a little bit)
                          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Killing it is the new killing it
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Well, the obvious way to transport goods around in a country like Canada would seem to be by rail.

Then, we've seen much goods transport here go from train to lorry not because it's cheaper, but because lorries are more flexible. Just-in-time an all that.
                            Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                            The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
                              Well, the obvious way to transport goods around in a country like Canada would seem to be by rail.

Then, we've seen much goods transport here go from train to lorry not because it's cheaper, but because lorries are more flexible. Just-in-time an all that.
                              Rail is very common and very popular, but you can't do everything by rail.

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
                                Thanks for the tip. I'll make sure Sir John A. gets it right away.
                                (\__/)
                                (='.'=)
                                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Working...
                                X