No announcement yet.

John Adams: One cool dude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yes, and I would know this because I saw Amistad?

right.............................

not so much

heheh
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

More reason to watch it!

GIVE US US FREE!!!!!!!!!!
      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Founder biographies are in vogue right now -- we've had four major Franklin biographies in two years -- but anybody from the pantheon is more worthy of attention than Adams.
        So Franklin is now considered a founding father there?

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
          More reason to watch it!

GIVE US US FREE!!!!!!!!!!
          sorry, no results on usenet...

maybe i'll rent it

but i'm too lazy to drive teh half mile to the video store
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

but i'm too lazy to drive teh half mile to the video store
            If you want to get it without driving yourself, I personally recommend Mr. Mule delivery systems.

Comment

Originally posted by VJ

If you want to get it without driving yourself, I personally recommend Mr. Mule delivery systems.
              nah, usenet is better, plus, I want the dvd version, not some crappy vcd or xvid rip
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Netflix also PWNZ, and you save alot of money.

I couldn't find Amistad on any of the online movie sites (like Movielink), but I did find this:

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
                    Netflix also PWNZ, and you save alot of money.

I couldn't find Amistad on any of the online movie sites (like Movielink), but I did find this:
                    Sava doesn't spend money things, don't forget.

VJ, Ben Franklin is and always has been considered a Founding Father. He wasn't president, but he played a pretty important role in early American politics both before and after the role. Him and Alexander Hamilton (who's sort of like the Barry Goldwater of the founding fathers ... didn't get elected to high office, but had a significant effect on the politics of the era)
                    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Ben Franklin is and always has been considered a Founding Father.
                      I did some quick googling, and you're right. It'd be funny if it wouldn't be true, I guess.

He wasn't president, but he played a pretty important role in early American politics both before and after the role.
                      Depends on how you define "important", I guess. "Insignificant" is a word which describes his role well.

Comment

Originally posted by VJ

So Franklin is now considered a founding father there?
                        As the only person to have signed all three of the major founding documents -- the Declaration of Independence, the Treaty of Paris, and the Constitution -- I would say "yes." Or, perhaps, "Yes. Duh."

WTF is your point, exactly?
                        "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by VJ

Depends on how you define "important", I guess. "Insignificant" is a word which describes his role well.
                          Riiight. Because convincing the French to come into the war on the side of the colonists didn't really matter all that much. And negotiating the Treaty of Paris? Of what possible importance could that be?

"I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Ben Franklin was the country's first effective diplomat. He was often a representative of Pennsylvania to Britain asking for redress of wrongs; he went to France to achieve their assistance in the Revolution; and stayed in france after that for several years, becoming a very popular figure and maintaining French goodwill.

He was also our first inventor/scientist. He was a pioneer in the fields of meteorology and electricity. He developped inventions still in use today, such as the lightning rod and the Franklin stove.

He also founded several institutions in America. He founded the first volunteer fire station; helped found the first public library; founded what would later merge with another school to become UPenn, the leading academic college in Pennsylvania; and was this country's first Postmaster (1775).

He never held high public office due to the fact that he tended to not be 'politically correct' domestically, regardless of his abilities as a foreign diplomat; and he was also 75 by the time the Revolution was over.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Franklin for more details
                            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Re: John Adams: One cool dude

Originally posted by lord of the mark

Note for Molly Bloom - did you know that Judge Sewall, of Salem witch trial fame, wrote an attack on slavery in 1700, years before Wilburforce?

Note for lord of the mark- did you know that judges in England declared that no one could be a slave in England, well before Wilberforce ?

Lord Chief Justice Holt:

' No man can have property in another... there is no such thing as a slave by the laws of England.'

In 1707 he reiterated:

'As soon as a Negro comes into England, he becomes a free man.'

Salkeld's Reports, Vol. 11, p.666

There's a world of difference between having the legal decisions and having them implemented- and opposing slavery in 1700 didn't seem to do much to eradicate it in the colonies, did it ?

Still, I'm sure his heart was in the right place.

Interestingly enough, the Society For The Propagation Of The Christian Gospel ran sugar plantations in Barbados, making sure that people would know who their slaves were by branding their skin with the word 'Society' .

God is love, indeed.
                              Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Re: Re: John Adams: One cool dude

[QUOTE] Originally posted by molly bloom

Note for lord of the mark- did you know that judges in England declared that no one could be a slave in England, well before Wilberforce ?

Lord Chief Justice Holt:

' No man can have property in another... there is no such thing as a slave by the laws of England.'

In 1707 he reiterated:

'As soon as a Negro comes into England, he becomes a free man.'

Salkeld's Reports, Vol. 11, p.666

And you know that theres a difference between a decision under common law, and an ideological assertion? Theres lots of things that dont exist under the common law, for legal reasons, that are not ideologically opposed. You also know that chattel slavery was rare in Europe in the 18th century, even in non common law countries. It was in the new world that negro slavery was common, and England allowed, and encouraged negro slavery in ALL it colonies. Indeed, Britain fought for the asiento, the monopoly on carriage of slaves to Spanish colonies.

[There's a world of difference between having the legal decisions and having them implemented- and opposing slavery in 1700 didn't seem to do much to eradicate it in the colonies, did it ?

IIUC, some New England politicians attempted to abolish slavery in the years just prior to the revolution, but were prevented from doing so, largely by the royal governor and his appointed council. IIUC, Masssachusetts, Connecticut, New Hampshire, and Pennsylvania abolished slavery either during the revolution, or immediately afterward.

Still, I'm sure his heart was in the right place.

Interestingly enough, the Society For The Propagation Of The Christian Gospel ran sugar plantations in Barbados, making sure that people would know who their slaves were by branding their skin with the word 'Society' .

And of course you know the society was Anglican, and was feared and hated by the New England Congregationalists, and Middle Colonies Presbyterians?
                                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Working...
                                X