Stallone to direct Poe Biography

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stallone to direct Poe Biography

IMDb is the world's most popular and authoritative source for movie, TV and celebrity content. Find ratings and reviews for the newest movie and TV shows. Get personalized recommendations, and learn where to watch across hundreds of streaming providers.

Robert Downey Jr. to play Edgar Allen Poe.

I can't believe someone hasn't made a movie about his life sooner. I will definitely go to see it.

I thought Downey was great as Charlie Chaplin, so he should be good as Poe, but Stallone hasn't written anything good since the original Rocky and if you're feeling generous, maybe First Blood. I don't know if Stallone can pull it off.

I have mixed emotions on this. Does anyone think this will be good?
    "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
    —Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Let's see, Stallone has directed:

Rocky IV
    Staying Alive
    Rocky III
    Rocky II
    Paradise Alley

Yep, I smell an Oscar.
    "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
    "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
    "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

I smell something, but it's not an oscar. The only thing that gives me hope is that Downey will be playing Poe. I know it's a bit of stretch for him to play a drugged out writer, but who knows?
      "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Comment

I thought for a second that Stallone had written/directed Cop Land but was mistaken as that was written/directed by James Mangold.

In any event it along with Rocky are probably the only decent Stallone acted films. Although I have a soft spot for Rocky II.
        "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Rocky VI

Stallone, 59, will reprise his role in the sixth "Rocky" film, titled "Rocky Balboa," playing the Philadelphia boxer who is lured out of a long retirement to fight a championship bout while dealing with personal tragedy outside the ring.
          60-year old men fighting in the ring. Now there's a sure success for a film.

Comment

This would've been a good film for the quirky Atom Egoyan to direct IMHO.
            "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
            "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
            "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

eh...

Stallone directing...

starring Robert downey jr...

I don't think I will be seeing this movie

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I'm gonna go see it.

Stallone.
                We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

You think that is a big deal?

Stallone directing Poe?

Check this out:

ROCKY VI !!!!!!!!!!

you heard it here first. I read it in the paper yesterday.

ACK!
                  Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Rocky VI is titled "Rocky Balboa"

Originally posted by Tuberski
                    You think that is a big deal?

Stallone directing Poe?

Check this out:

ROCKY VI !!!!!!!!!!

you heard it here first.
                    Well post#5 first, except for those who read threads backwards... but that means they heard it here first instead.

Comment

*%^&^#%&^*(

ACK!
                      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Hrm. Stallone was a grade-A A-hole when he came to sign some book or another at my bookstore. Very rude to staff, and pretentious. I can take an actor or whatever being terse with fans - but staff who are going out of their way to hold an event for his benefit ...

<Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

It certainly makes one ponder equally unlikely pairings of director and subject- take one black and white film about haunting, which made excellent use of expressive lighting, camera angles, music and sound effects and relied on the subtle build up of tension- and remake it with Jan de Bont, 'renowned' for 'Twister'.

Result- the shlocky merde-fest that was the remake of 'The Haunting'.

Like asking Renny Harlin to direct 'Pride and Prejudice' or 'Bonjour Tristesse'- or Spike Lee to direct a biography of Nathan Bedford Forrest.

Or Atom Egoyan to direct 'Death Race 2100'.
                          Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Death Race 3000 is due out next year. Paul W. S. Anderson is directing. He has brought us such classics as Resident Evil and Alien vs. Predator.

Stallone should reprise his role as Machine Gun Joe.

Originally posted by Pyrodrew

60-year old men fighting in the ring. Now there's a sure success for a film.
                            I can't imagine what kind of plot line would land a 60 year old man in the boxing ring. Will he be boxing for medicare rights or a higher social security stipend? Mind boggling.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                              Hrm. Stallone was a grade-A A-hole when he came to sign some book or another at my bookstore. Very rude to staff, and pretentious. I can take an actor or whatever being terse with fans - but staff who are going out of their way to hold an event for his benefit ...

Judging by the type of movies he makes, I would have thought he would be more down to earth.

Comment

Working...
                              X