I Suck At Gardening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Suck At Gardening

I don't think I have ever had a lawn that didn't die. Well, except one, and that was only because I seeded it, then it flooded, and the I moved out like 6 months later.

Every lawn I have had has died. I do what books tell me and still get no results. I have air raided, reseeded, water as I was told to, spent forturnes on sprinklers, fertilizers and the like, and still they die.

This new lawn is no different. Granted I have an oddly slopped yard, but still I have an out break of crab grass and I am afraid if I spray for the crab grass I'll end up killing the lawn and I don't have enough time to reseed, as I probably should of done that already. If I reseed now, I will need to feed, and that will only help the weeds.

Any advice would be helpful. Especially from midwesterners.

Thanks
    Monkey!!!

Hire a friendly neighborhood gardening service. At the time, it was about $70/mo. and well worth it. My yard took up about 1.2 acres and I was highly allergic to just about everything in the outside environment.
    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

I'm being told gardening services out here are expensive due to the small hispanic population
      Monkey!!!

Comment

The garding service I hired was completely composed of white guys (this was in Iowa). Shop around and see. Otherwise, be prepared to get ugly looks from your neighbors everytime you see them.
        “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

It's mainly just half of my backyard, and the neighbors said that that half is tough to keep green because of the way the yards drain. I'm think of turning it into a flood plain... kind of.
          Monkey!!!

Comment

Let the weeds grow. Survival of the fittest
            Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
            The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

I agree with pchang. Get a gardening service.

With the money you saved by moving, it shouldn't be a problem.

You'll probably waste more money if you try to do it yourself.

You can also get a landscape architect to take a look at it, the same way interior decorators do.
              We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

That's what I'm thinking.
                Monkey!!!

Comment

Whats crab grass? an evil bastie by the looks of it from GIS, so you had best nail it before it forces the other grass out and leaves patchs when you finally deal with it. What is it roots system like? We used to use a screwdriver to weed lawns, push it into the ground around the base of the weed to loosen the earth without breaking up the root, then pull the ****er out

Ive done damage to plenty of lawns but never enough that they didnt recover from it. crab grass looks relativly broad leaved so may get taken out by lawn feed and weed mixture. Use a rotary spreader, not a line spreader or by hand because its far too easy to screw it up without a rotary spreader. althought the feed and weed may not work if crab grass is too close to normal grass shaped blades
                  Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

I'll weed and then use the spreader, I have a rotary spreader.
                    Monkey!!!

Comment

Just so you know I dont really know what crabgrass is, thats just general advice for lawn care but hand weed + weed and feed mix was our solution to everything really.

I will ask my old boss if he knows any specific advice for crabgrass and he should be able to tell me if I know the weed or not
                      Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

I think it needs to be dug out, I'm just worried that it's getting pretty cold and that I won't be able to get any grass in to replace it before winter hits.
                        Monkey!!!

Comment

Re: I Suck At Gardening

Originally posted by Japher
                          I have air raided
                          I think I see the problem. High explosives and/or napalm are not conducive to good lawns.
                          "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

you know what I mean, jhacksas
                            Monkey!!!

Comment

Seriously the best advice for lawns is being on the computer 24/7 at places like 'poly to get your gardening help and then going out and buying a whole ton of green paint.
                              "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Working...
                              X