X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Palestinians killed in internal strife than in Israeli hands this year

More Palestinians killed in internal strife this year

By Amos Harel, Haaretz Correspondent, and Haaretz Service

For the first time since the start of the intifada, more Palestinians have been killed in internal violence since the start of the year than those who have died in clashes with Israel, according to an official report published Thursday.

In the report, the Palestinian Authority's Interior Ministry cited 219 deaths as a result of inner-Palestinian violence compared to 218 deaths at the hands of Israeli security forces over the course of the first nine months of this year. The statistics reflect the relative calm in the territories vis-a-vis Israel as well as the increasing anarchy in PA-controlled areas.

The ministry, which oversees the PA's security services, argued that the data speaks to the dangers inherent in the deteriorating security situation within the PA. It called on all the factions within the PA to support efforts in enforcing the law.

The PA added that the security services are trying to cope with two main challenges in establishing law and order - crime and domestic violence within families, and the activities of armed groups and factions in the territories.

Wrong + Wrong != Right
    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

Comment

Interesting Good to see things have calmed down between the two countries.

I have a question (curiosity, not political point) : do the stats about intra-Palestinian violence include common crime, or only political strife between factions?
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH
        Wrong + Wrong != Right
        440 deaths = much much better than a few years ago.
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Let's wait for the "nuke the ME" comments. These are always enlightening.
          Blah

Comment

It was more the marketing of the data I was commenting on.
            Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
            We've got both kinds

Comment

I have a question (curiosity, not political point) : do the stats about intra-Palestinian violence include common crime, or only political strife between factions?

I wondered about that too when the report first came out.

It doesnt make sense for the numbers to include only political fighting. Pals fighting Pals get a lot of attention from the Israeli media and while I've seen headlines about killings and wounded, it doesnt even comes close to 219 dead. I would estimate even less than 50.
              "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

The Palestinian cabinet has never once discussed the security chaos in the territories, nor has Prime Minister Ahmed Qureia ever asked it to do so, according to an investigative committee set up by the Palestinian Legislative Council. The panel was charged with examining the Palestinian Authority's ongoing failure to impose order on armed Palestinian gangs and militias.

The committee's report, a copy of which was obtained by Haaretz, said that despite Qureia's repeated public comments about the need to impose order on the armed gangs, in practice, his government failed to make any attempt to deal with either the armed militias or the power struggles among the various Palestinian security services that impeded action against these militias.

It also found that there was a "clear failure in implementing the reform and development plan, as well as in the war against corruption."
                "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

Palestine is joining the ranks of civilized countries.
                  Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                  The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Wrong + Wrong != Right

everyone knows its 2W^2 + 4W + 8 / sqrt(X^2 + Y^2) = Right

Comment

Wrong + Wrong != Right
                      How is this a math thread?

Originally posted by Eli
                      It doesnt make sense for the numbers to include only political fighting. Pals fighting Pals get a lot of attention from the Israeli media and while I've seen headlines about killings and wounded, it doesnt even comes close to 219 dead. I would estimate even less than 50.
                      You are actually wrong on that.

Not to mention that a large proportion of common crime in the territories could be also categorized as political crime. When a stray fatah group begins to raid shops and collect blood money, is it common crime, or political? I say both.

Comment

You are actually wrong on that.

It makes no sense. What's your source?
                        "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Lets not argue about sources. ;-)

But factually you are correct that I'm basing it on a conception and not a written fact. If you want me to make sure with the proper sources, I will.

Comment

they are alwys going to kill each other we should just nuke teh ME!

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Geeze, no wonder Israel gets such a bad rap. "in Israeli hands"

You say "in () hands" or "at the hands of ()" when the () is the evil guys. Like, "The Power Rangers fans were helpless at the hands of the Something Awful forum goons" or "Those on his enemies list were ruthlessly killed in Richard Nixon's hands", that kind of thing.

You guys just need better spin doctors.
                              meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Working...
                              X