Glenn Pinkerton, RIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glenn Pinkerton, RIP

My mom's father passed away last night. He would have been 86 tomorrow. I still have the card I planned to send sitting on my desk, since I was "too busy" to put the damned thing in the mail.

He had Parkinson's disease and had been deteriorating for a while, but it's still a shock that it was so sudden (he apparently had a stroke in the night). My mom and dad were supposed to go see him in another 3 weeks or so.

The last time I saw him was last summer, when I made a special trip down to DC from NY to be with him and the family and visit the WW2 memorial. He served in Europe as an artillery sergeant in the Battle of the Bulge.

The family gathering was a great time, so my last memory of seeing him is a good one.

Anyway, he was a great person, a hero for his country and someone who will be deeply missed.
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Oh, damn.

My deepest condolences for you and your family. Just be glad for all the time you've spent with him... and remember that he left after a great lifem a life of achievement and heroism, if only by him serving in that war, alone.
    urgh.NSFW

Comment

to the good memories.

for your loss.

RIP Glenn
      "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
      "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

A hero finally regrouping with friends in the last resting place.

RIP Glenn Pinkerton.
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

I'm sorry for your loss Boris.

RIP Glenn Pinkerton.
          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

I am sorry about the loss
            But it's comforting to have a good memory. We all have to go some day, that is the inevitable and after day x has passed all that remains is the image we've left in those around us. It's good to see it was a positive one. May he live further in your family's hearts and minds!

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
              A hero finally regrouping with friends in the last resting place.

RIP Glenn Pinkerton.
              Actually, he had been having a few spells where he started talking like he was back in the war with his unit buddies. The positive aspect of his passing is that he went quickly without descending into the horrors of dementia, loss of bodily function, etc.

My mom has now lost both her parents (my grandmother died in 1994). Can't really imagine that.
              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

My mom has now lost both her parents (my grandmother died in 1994).

Same here. This is quite scary for me, really.
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

Sorry to hear it, Boris. My condolensces.

I've got a 92 year old grandfather myself... He never actually thinks that he's back in the war, but when he tells his war stories he gets intensely emotional. For example, he always cries when he remembers the one kid in his unit that died two weeks before the end of the war. Usually, he ties in the statement that 'war is hell' in there, too, and I'm inclined to believe him.
                  "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                  Drake Tungsten
                  "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                  Albert Speer

Comment

sorry boris

RIP
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov

My mom has now lost both her parents (my grandmother died in 1994). Can't really imagine that.
                      My mother also. Her mom died earlier this year. Can't imagine how that affected her.

Sorry for your loss.
                      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Hard week for me..21st of October is my Mom's 5th anniversary..

Just talked to Dad..I'm 46 and still have very hard time..keeping the fishbone from my throat and flood welling from my heart..

My condolences to you and your family....

I tell my Dad all the time I love him, he lives 1200 miles from here

Life is so darned short folks..

Love a lot hurt a little and forgive forever

Bruce K. Cronkite

"Da one and only Grandpa Troll"
                        Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Working...
                        X