Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The atmospheric vortex engine - a new kind of power plant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The atmospheric vortex engine - a new kind of power plant?

I've just read about this in the news. Sounds promising. It's called the Atmospheric Vortex Engine and it uses an artificially created hurricane to produce energy.

While this is similar to some other sorts of upstream powerplants, this one is not restricted to the use of solar collectors.

You can read about it here: http://www.vortexengine.ca/index.html

A vortex engine is a machine for producing and controlling a tornado-like vortex. A vortex engine consists of a cylindrical wall open at the top and with tangential air entries around its base. Heating the air within the wall using a temporary heat source such as steam starts the vortex. The heat to sustain the vortex once established is provided in cooling tower bays located outside of the cylindrical wall and upstream of the deflectors. The continuous heat source for the peripheral heat exchanger can be waste industrial heat or warm seawater. The intensity of the vortex is regulated by restricting the flow of air with dampers located upstream of the deflectors. The vortex can be stopped by restricting the airflow to deflectors with direct orientation and by opening the airflow to deflectors with reverse orientation.
    The power output could be around 200MW

that's pretty neat
    Monkey!!!

Comment

I want one for my Ogame universe

But yeah it sounds pretty cool - the kind of thing that might help bring mankind from the brink of its idiocy(along with many other progresive idea's+designs that better work with nature). So a to the vortex engine.
      'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

You're playing Ogame? Is it any good?

Comment

Sounds like a common turbine.

There are power generators that burn natural gas to drive a power turbine. The heat from the natural gas is then used to power another turbine. I think it is called cogeneration.
          Golfing since 67

Comment

Is it in Omaha, Nebraska? I always thought that place had a tornado factory somewhere.
            I'm consitently stupid- Japher
            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
              You're playing Ogame? Is it any good?
              off topic(appropriate for this place ) : check in the 'Other games' forum here - a load of people are playing it, and yes its good

on topic:

I wonder how efficient it will be? and i'm guessing it will have close to zero waste product, it all being steam etc? I still like it
              'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Theben, I think I read he tries to do something like that in Utah.

Tingkai, well, not quite, since this is not an upstream heat converting plant. The heat is just used to feed the hurricane and the power is generated with the flow of the air. At least that's how I understood it.
                It's a pretty green technology, I'd say and I hope that it'll proof effective.

Comment

Where do you get the heat?
                  Golfing since 67

Comment

geothermal wells
                    Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tingkai
                      Where do you get the heat?
                      read the page man... warm seawater, heat-waste from industries, solar,...

Comment

If I remember right, then Deadlock has a Vortex emitter - wreaks nice havoc on opponents coasts
                        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Atmospheric Vortex Engines — heh, fascinating stuff. Hopefully something good will come of it eventually.

Gatekeeper
                          "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

But you're forgetting the terrible day when the hurricanes generated within get to big for their containments and join into one super hurricane intent on world destruction.

Comment

Yes the huricane would be led by a reanimated alien Elivs and would seed the Earth with little mutated death hamsters .
                              I'm not buying BtS until Firaxis impliments the "contiguous cultural border negates colony tax" concept.

Comment

Working...
                              X