Apple has blowout quarter -- profits increase 400%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple has blowout quarter -- profits increase 400%

Apple is now making a very tidy sum for its shareholders. $430 million in the last quarter alone. A very tidy sum indeed. And it's not even Christmas season yet! Demand for the Nano is said to be "staggering" -- 1 million shipped in 17 days -- and there's no question why. It's a sexy little thing.

Apple earnings surge on iPod sales
    By Paul Taylor in New York
    Published: October 11 2005 22:59 | Last updated: October 11 2005 22:59

Strong sales of the iconic iPod portable digital music player and “staggering” demand for the tiny new Nano player launched just last month helped Apple Computer report surging fourth quarter sales and profits.

Apple’s senior executives described the fourth quarter as “the best in Apple’s history” and forecast continuing strong growth boosted by sales of digital music players and strong sales of MacIntosh computers, particularly to the education market.

Net income rose to $430m, or 50 cents a share, from $106m, or 13 cents, a year earlier. Cupertino, California-based Apple said today in a statement distributed by PR Newswire. Sales increased 57 per cent to $3.68bn.

The results were underpinned by record iPod shipments which increased to a record 6.45m in the September quarter. While this fell somewhat short of analysts’ expectations, Apple executives said they were “very satisfied’ with the numbers, particularly since the company scaled back production of the iPod mini during the period in preparation for the launch of the Nano.

Apple said it shipped over 1m of the pencil thin Nano players in the 17 days between its launch and the end of September and said supply fell “far short of demand.” The company added that it could not predict when it would be able to catch-up with the “staggering” demand for the Nano. “We ended the quarter with an enormous backlog for the Nano” the company said.

Apple also benefited from demand for notebooks that accelerated sales of its more-profitable Macs. During the quarter Apple sold 1.24m Macs, the fourth straight quarter shipments topped 1m. It also said that the number of customers visiting its stores grew strongly and said it plans to open up to another 40 new stores next year.

Loooking ahead, Apple forecast that profit this quarter will be about 49 cents on revenue of about $4.7bn, slightly ahead of analysts’s expectations.

Apple has shipped more than 28.2m iPods since Steve Jobs, Apple’s mercurial chief executive, launched the company into the digital music market in October 2001. According to industry analysts, Apple iPod devices account for almost three-quarters of all digital music players sold in the US. The company has also sold more than 500m songs through its iTunes online music store.

Mr Jobs who was not on the earning call on Tuesday, is widely expected to launch a new version of the iPod that plays videos at Apple event in San Francisco on Wednesday.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Attached Files
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

It's funny that their slumping computer business is a mere footnote. Investors are so nearsighted...

They've also managed to do a little slight of hand and switch to reporting "number of units" sold for computers, while before they always harped about the revenue.

I guess that's not surprising given that they have $499 computers now, which suck for revenue and are good for "units shipped."

I also question that the demand is really so "staggering", given that they are easily obtained...
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Apple has introduced two first-tier products in the last year. The Nano and the Mac mini.

Comment

Mac Mini

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

It's first-tier product design that I think will become compelling very quickly, even if it isn't now.

Comment

First-tier = abject failure?
              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Killing it is the new killing it
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                Apple has introduced two first-tier products in the last year. The Nano and the Mac mini.
                What? How do you figure they're first-tier?

Mac Mini sales slumped after its debut, Apple started a "try it for 30 days for free" gimmick but quickly withdrew it in a vain attempt to spur demand. Last time I checked they're selling under 100,000 per quarter...

Not to mention the amateurish move of "silently" upgrading some Mac Minis, and not even changing the model or product ID.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

As for the Mac Mini, for $399 you can get a far faster computer in the same form factor.

Comment

The Mini's heat budget isn't so high. With the current crop of chips, they did about the best they could do. That equation will change fairly quickly, and I think the Mini will benefit from that.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                      The Mini's heat budget isn't so high. With the current crop of chips, they did about the best they could do. That equation will change rather quickly, and I think Apple will benefit from that.
                      Bull****, they could easily put faster G4s on there, on par with what's in the PowerMacs at least.

Apple has ridiculous hardware profit margins. They make something like $150 off of a $499 computer...

and the iPod Nano costs ~$93 to make, sells for $199.

Now Apple and Samsung have to worry about the Korean FTC investigating their deal.

Comment

In any event, this quarter's performance was driven by the iPod product series, not the Mac.

Comment

That doesn't make the Mac Mini a tier-1 product, it makes consumers ill-informed and trend-following sheep.

Comment

Is this where you start in by recommending ugly products to Polytubbies, like Creative's line of products?

Comment

Not everybody wants to have an MP3 player that looks like a Louie Vuitton purse.

Some of us buy our music players based on functional aspects, such as price, music quality and battery life.

iPods are fashion accessories for the A&F/Von Dutch yuppies that are sweeping the nation(s).

Comment

Working...
                              X