Computer help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer help needed

Before buying a new one, how do I reformat a drive when the usual route of booting up windows from the CD and set up is blocked by a "registery error" message on a blue background? Safe mode, repairing the drive, nothing gets past the message. Is there software that can wipe a drive completely clean that doesn't need the OS to work?

Any recommendations on computers and operating systems? Windows XP has been a disaster for me, but I'm sure some of the problems are caused by the loose nut behind the wheel. Has Mac designed a computer that can recognise and translate software made for PCs? I doubt I can find a Mac version of Civ II mp

Hm. If you can get online with a second hard drive, then you would be fine

It's possible that your CD isn't booting, also ... not all systems are set to boot from CD, regardless of bootable CD.

Have you tried other (WinXP) CDs?
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Re: Computer help needed

Originally posted by Berzerker
      Any recommendations on computers and operating systems? Windows XP has been a disaster for me, but I'm sure some of the problems are caused by the loose nut behind the wheel. Has Mac designed a computer that can recognise and translate software made for PCs? I doubt I can find a Mac version of Civ II mp
      Seperately ...

XP is fine, if you want windows software ... Macs don't run windows software w/o an emulator (although you can certainly get them). Linux has same.

And isn't Civ2-mp out for mac? I thought so ...

Anyhow, Linux would be probably easier for the Win emulation, as it's a common theme in linux to run windows stuff ... but it's harder to install. Take your choice

Comment

You could call it Berzerker's monthly computer help thread already.

I really wonder how you managed to screw Windows XP totally.
        But okay, you could put one of those linux-live cds in and format your HDD from there. Another way would be to use a partition manager, like PartitionMagic, or you get a freedos (http://www.fdos.org/ripcord/beta9sr1/) bootdisk and format from there.

Ofc, naturally all your data is lost and as for the Mac, there is VirtualPC which emulates a Windows PC on a MAC.

Comment

anyone have the dell e510? How is it?

Snoop, no. I wish I had something that would just wipe the drive clean and start over.

Linux live cds?

Comment

Comment

Try FreeDOS .

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker
                Linux live cds?
                A Linux Live CD is a CD that boots into Linux without making any changes to your existing HDD.
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

You should have looked for Boris's thread about computer purchases.
                  A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

A Linux Live CD is a CD that boots into Linux without making any changes to your existing HDD.
                    UR - it is perfectly possible to use a Linux live CD to mount Windows disks , or to fdisk them and format them in any way you want ( I'm sure you're aware of this - or are you trying to explain what a live CD is ? ) .

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm

UR - it is perfectly possible to use a Linux live CD to mount Windows disks , or to fdisk them and format them in any way you want ( I'm sure you're aware of this - or are you trying to explain what a live CD is ? ) .
                      I think that's the idea yes.

Comment

The guy at geek squad told me to employ system recovery and briefly described how, but either I never got to the screen for the prompt because of the registery error or I missed it.

Computer recommendations? Dell good enough? Maybe the XPS 400? Or just the dimension e510?

Comment

Recommendation - build your own.
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I got my new Dell laptop earlier tonight and I must say, I am a happy camper!
                            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
                              I got my new Dell laptop earlier tonight and I must say, I am a happy camper!
                              Dell ... crappy parts, often impossible to upgrade and remain stable, and often parts are irreplaceable without spending a fortune for their service techs to do it because they bought the entire product line ...

Those Civvers amongst us remember "Replaceable Parts" as a technology ... Dell remembers that as the Enemy.

Comment

Working...
                              X