Your Favorite Book(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Favorite Book(s)

A book thread, with a twist. Not just your favorite stories, but you favorite actual, physical books.

The wife and I are moving at the end of the year, and we are going through our possessions and eliminating things we don't want or need. Our book collection is very large - in the attached picture, the books on the floor represent our discarded material, and I still have 30-40 boxes and crates of books stored downstairs - and we plan on donating the volumes that are in good condition to libraries and shelters, particularly areas down south stricken by the recent storms.

Anyhoo, while pruning my collection I came across some volumes that I cherish for reasons other than the words and thoughts contained therein, so I thought I'd share with y'all.

1) The Divine Comedy by Dante Aligheri, (c) 1948. An oversize hardcover, replete with illustrations by Gustav Dore. Now, the Divine Comedy is my favorite work of classical literature, and I just f*cking love the Dore illustrations. I have a few copies of the Comedy, various translations (Ciardi, Mendelbaum), and my college roomie had a book of the Dore illustrations, but this is the first copy I've owned with both text and illustrations combined. Although the translator is unknown to me (Lawrence Grant White) and not my favorite (Ciardi rocks), having both text and graphics at my fingertips makes me a hapy camper. Plus, I got it for free! I was doing some computer work for a woman who sells antique art books online (I work in the Hamptons), and I started gushing about Dante & Dore, and she presented me with this volume as a gift after I had helped her out. If only it was annotated, it would be *perfect*, but it's not. But that's okay, I'm happy with what I have.

2) Paradise Lost by John Milton, annotated by Isaac Asimov. First, Paradise Lost is damn cool (I once wanted a dozen cats named after the devils in PL), Asimov's annotations are awesome (his fiction was flat, but his erudition was staggering), and it was a big, thick book I stole from my high school library one fine autumn day. Thievery brings back fond memories, like...

3) The Dark Descent, edited by David Hartwell. One of the best anthologies of horror and weird fiction ever, encompassing the old and the new. I purloined this volume from a Hamptons bookstore while I was in college - it's a big book, and there were few patrons, making the theft somewhat tricky, but I accomplished it. The most expensive single book ($35.00) I've ever stolen. I have since rewarded that bookstore with my patronage many times over, going there instead of Borders (where I could get a 20 - 30% discount), so I don't feel bad about it at all.

4) Animal Farm by George Orwell. One of my top-ten books. The last day of tenth grade I found a box of paperback copies of this book, about 20 of them, in a supply closet, so I stole it and handed out copies as end-of-term gifts to my friends. Kept the last copy for myself.

5) Hunting Humans by Michael Newton. My first, and still the best, encyclopedia of serial killers. I've always been a warped kid, but didn't really get into crime and criminology until 1990, when I bought this book from Loompanics (the best book company in ther world). Years later, this book is in shabby condition, but is one of my most requested items to borrow by friends. Stuffed with articles from magazines and newspapers, with penciled-in annotations and comments from me and my friends. A wonderful, scary book.

(Before the comments roll in, SKs should be hunted down and imprisoned and/or executed without mercy, but they are still absolutely fascinating.)

6) Disasters Illustrated by Woody Gelman and Barbara Jackson, (c) 1976. When I was young, I would always ask my parents (& Santa) for books as gifts; they obliged. I don't remember exactly when I got this, but it was Christmas '76, '77, or '78. I was born in 1968, so I was between 8 and 10 years old. This book is a wonderful compendium of catastrophes - floods, earthquakes, fires, plagues, tornadoes, mysterious mass disappearances. the covers have long since departed (it was a softcover book, and it's been transported a lot), and the last chapter (disappearences) is almost gone, but I still use it as an important reference. My parents helped me become the warped person I am today, not through beatings and abuse (though I recall a few good wallopings), but be letting me stay up 'til 1 in the morning to watch horror films, taking me to see Jaws when I was 7, and buying me books about train wrecks, medical oddities, crime, Poe, Lovecraft, etc. I *love* my parents - thanks, M&P!!

There are others I no longer have - a HUGE Bible, illustrated with plates of Rembrandt paintings, that I purloined from college during a book sale, and that I had to sell in my 20s when I was short on cash - that I remember fondly, but these 6 are on my shelves instead of on the floor in the den. Good books, good memories.

Anybody else have any tales to tell?
    Attached Files

I have an old atlas I read everytime I take a crap. It has got lots of stats about all the world's ****ries too. For example, did you know that Upper Volta has huge manganese deposits?
    CSPA

Comment

The International Atlas by Rand McNally 1969. It was my father's Atlas long after it was way outdated (it still has the United Arab Republic for god's sake), but I like the heft. Also the largest book in the apartment.

Oh, and by the way, what a small book collection. I assume you guiys have more elsewhere.
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I generally read Almanacs when on the sheitter
        Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gangerolf
          I have an old atlas I read everytime I take a crap. It has got lots of stats about all the world's ****ries too. For example, did you know that Upper Volta has huge manganese deposits?
          I got a 1942 world atlas I found at a rummage sale

Comment

My favourite actual books are:

A very very old hardback edition of Keats Poems with fancy illustrations. One of the few poets I actually like, a true inspiration to me - and the presentation of this book makes it seem so much better than the penguin editions.

The Complete Works of Shakespeare - again, very old, not the standard edition I have to use for uni, wafer thin pages and odd footnotes and abbreviations I have to keep looking up due to learning English in the 20th century, not 19th. Truly wonderful writer though, I will defend his beautiful command of language to the death, and this book ensures I have plenty of quotes to hand.

Do Not Stand at my grave and Weep - just this one poem, in an illustrated book. Brought for me to cope with a death, its a treasured possession and a truly comforting, simplistic poem.

The further Bulletins of Idi Amin - collected from that wonderful magazine, Punch. Gloriously un-pc and dead funny.
            Desperados of the world, unite. You have nothing to lose but your dignity.......

Comment

Originally posted by Odin

I got a 1942 world atlas I found at a rummage sale
              Cool. The borders in Europe must be interesting... I hope you don't read it on the crapper
              CSPA

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                Oh, and by the way, what a small book collection. I assume you guiys have more elsewhere.
                In that picture, there are 3 bookcases out-of-view, 2 full, 1 half-full, plus I have 30-40 boxes and crates of books still stored in my basement.

Originally posted by Verres
                Truly wonderful writer though, I will defend his beautiful command of language to the death, and this book ensures I have plenty of quotes to hand.
                Shakespeare was to literature what Mozart was to music. If you ever had to defend Shakespeare, you most certainly would not be doing it alone.

Comment

Originally posted by ajbera

In that picture, there are 3 bookcases out-of-view, 2 full, 1 half-full, plus I have 30-40 boxes and crates of books still stored in my basement.

There is no such thing as too many books. Only too few.

Comment

It would have to be Medical Curiosities. The first edition is from 1892; I'm not sure how old my copy is. Unfortunately, I ruined the spine of the book by carrying it in my backpack.
                    I no longer use this account.

Comment

I've got an edition of the Alexander Shakespeare that isn't that old or particularly special, but I used it throughout university so it is special to me. Not as special as my mother's, who used hers to press the first rose given to her by my father. If only she'd told me when I first opened it....
                      It wasn't a massive problem, but I had to buy my own pretty sharpish, because it would have been too much trouble to keep the pages of Antony and Cleopatra closed when reading another play.

Comment

You have a weird sense of what constitutes a small book collection. His collection might not be the largest collection in the world, but it certainly is not small.
                        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun

You have a weird sense of what constitutes a small book collection. His collection might not be the largest collection in the world, but it certainly is not small.
                          Anything less than 250 volumes is small.

Comment

Anything less than 250 volumes is small.
                            That's your opinion.
                            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Loads of people own tonnes of books, but haven't read all of them. I only have about 3 shelves in my flat, but have read a vast number. That's what counts ultimately - it's like owning an asset but never using it - it's essentially worthless.

Comment

Working...
                              X