Need information on the principles of the supreme court

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need information on the principles of the supreme court

My debate topic is whether or not judicial activism is necessary for the protection of American citizens' rights. If I am the aff, I need to prove that things like Brown vs. Board of Education, Miranda rights, right to have counsel appointed, right to abortion, right to contraception, etc. could have only been done through the courts and could not have been done by passing laws through the legislative branch. If I am the neg I need to bring up things like the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and say any of the major rights and/or policies brought about by supreme court decisions could have been done through the legislative branch, and that doing it through the judicial branch was unnecessary and unconstitutional.

This is just high school, and I need to write this case by tonight, so I don't want any heavy duty research. All I want is a little simple, easy to get information giving me the major supreme court cases and major legislation passed throughout US history and a brief overview of them. This isn't research, I'm just reading it to get the concept and get some examples.

The only thing I have going for the aff at the moment is that decisions on rights and the interpretation of the constitution should not be done through the legislature because politics will get into it, and decisions might be made as a result of a concession or something, and that is not the way constitutional decisions could be made. The legislature is the arena for passing bills and specific policies, not making general, theoretical decisions on the interpretation of the constitution.

But all the neg has to do is say that these major court cases and laws that have changed our country for the better could have been done by the legislature. It would also help if I could say judicial activism is unconstitutional. Because if the judges can make decisions and in effect make laws without having to answer to anyone, that would be unrestrained power.

Anything would be appreciated.
    "The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Opinions for the cases, could you be a little more specific about what you want
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

Constitutional amendments are initiated by the legislative branch before being sent out to approval by state legislatures.

This however requires approval of 75% of all states (not population) to do, which means that national attitudes can become very out of sync with national laws if cases such as civil rights were processed through the legislative branch instead.
      Visit First Cultural Industries
      There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
      Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

You're probably going to want to look into the Marshall supreme court, and Marbury v Madison, the case in which the Supreme Court gave itself the power of judicial review ...
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

They have principles?!
          "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
          "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
          "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

could you be a little more specific about what you want
            I'm looking for a website that might list some of the main, important supreme court cases and maybe some of the major legislation that has been passed throughout our history and give me a little overview of them. For example, it would show Marbury vs. Madison and give a little synopsis of what both sides argued, what the decision was and why the supreme court made that decision, and the effects of it.

I want this especially for all the major civil rights cases and legislation, because I believe most of it has come about throughout the courts.

Constitutional amendments are initiated by the legislative branch before being sent out to approval by state legislatures.

This however requires approval of 75% of all states (not population) to do, which means that national attitudes can become very out of sync with national laws if cases such as civil rights were processed through the legislative branch instead.
            These aren't necessarily constitutional amendments, I am just looking at laws, and supreme court cases where a precedent was established. For example, Roe vs. Wade. The supreme court made a decision that went against the laws of the time, and thus it was judicial activism. The aff has to argue that it was perfectly constitutional and ok for the supreme court to do this. The neg has to say doing this was unconstitutional, that giving the supreme court the power to make their own decisions about laws gives them unrestrained power, and most importantly, that congress could have just as easily passed a law that legalized abortion.

When it comes down to it, the aff has to say the only way something like legalizing abortion could have come about was through the courts, and the neg has to say that it could have been done through the legislature.
            "The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Comment

Supreme Court interprets laws in relation to the constitution; as in whether or not a law is constitutional or not.

In your case, aff is right in theory, neg is right in practice.
              There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
              Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Well the aff says that the supreme court should make decisions beyond that. ie privacy rights and abortion, those weren't in the constitution, but the supreme court formed policy by making decisions on those subjects by their own opinions on whether or not they should be allowed. The neg has to say that all the supreme court should do is make judicial review on laws and make sure they are constitutional. The neg has to say that if the supreme court is limited to only this, Americans' rights can still be protected.

And since on the aff, I am trying to show that the courts have been what establishes civil rights, I need examples of court cases where civil rights have been won for the minorities. And then I will say 'look at what the courts did.' For the neg, I need civil rights legislation, and they can say 'look at what the legislature did to protect rights without the supreme court.'

Comment

Without judicial activism, the topics of privacy rights, abortion, and civil rights would have been left up to the states, as they were prior to the court decisions.

The result would be wide differences in the rights of citizens from state to state. Currently, the issues of gay rights and medical marijuana are in this category.

The timing of judicial activism usually occurs when the right has been guaranteed by legislation in a large number of states. This is sometimes referred to as the "what happens in California eventually happens everywhere" phenomenon.

For example, in the case of abortion, by 1973, about half the states had repealed or relaxed the ban via legislation. Many of these states were coastal states with high population, consisting a supermajority of the national population.

Comment

Working...
                  X