Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using graphics chips for extreme computations (update)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using graphics chips for extreme computations (update)

Check out how the most recent GPUs do with GROMACS (a standard biochemistry computational environment, used in supercomputing clusters frequently as well):

Most of the research is being done by this guy at Stanford: http://graphics.stanford.edu/~mhouston/

The best part? It's not yet optimized for ATI's X1800 architecture yet.

ATI also has been talking to developers about doing other massively parallel computations using GPUs, such as physics. They have demos, too.

GPUs are becoming more and more general in their capabilities, and the results are amazing.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

That guy from Stanford posts on the Beyond3D forums. His main reason for the X1800/R520's performance over the 7800GTX:
    Excellent latency hiding. Basically, the memory controller on the R520 rocks. With enough math, you can hide ALL memory latency and branch penalties.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Hey, that's pretty cool, these modern video cards have more power than entire motherboards 5 years ago.

I also know dudes that got like 3 or 4 video cards laying around doing nothing.
      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

More info on general purpose GPU computing: http://www.gpgpu.org/

Comment

say... all that folding@home stuff could really benefit from this, I see!
          urgh.NSFW

Comment

Coincidentally, Stanford is behind Folding@Home

Comment

Neat. I've been thinking about doing my graduate degree in protein-carbohydrate interactions, with perhaps some computer modeling.

Btw, good job G5.
              urgh.NSFW

Comment

The PowerPC 970 does very very well with GROMACS, it's very well-documented.

My best friend's dad runs some computational clusters at school here (as well as 3 NMR machine things), and their computational clusters use GROMACS.

They're just finishing building a new cluster using PowerPC970FXs in IBM blades, and it is one damn cool cluster -- in both ways.

I work on it parttime (few hours a week really), because suddenly I'm a cheap resource familiar with IBM's high-performance computing compilers and OSes.

Comment

Hey, NMR magnets! Cool! ( Ok, this joke was milked dry)

seriously, they look kinda small res. Is that enough for biochemistry?
                  urgh.NSFW

Comment

They have 700, 500, and 400MHz (or Hz?) magnets. And I've no idea how they work.

Comment

oh, that's a 700Mhz? that should do just fine.

How they work? well, they send low frequence radiation....
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Working...
                      X