Let the Good Times Roll! -- 42,000 New Jobs Announced In September

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let the Good Times Roll! -- 42,000 New Jobs Announced In September

Despite Katrina's wrath, the US economy is still chugging along nicely. Only 35,000 net jobs were lost in September, much fewer than the economists expected. With upward revisions to payroll figures for July and August (+35,000 to 277,000 and +42,000 to 211,000, respectively), this means that 42,000 new jobs were announced in September.

A string of robust jobs growth and I expect that pay raises will be on tap.

Here's FT's article on the subject.

US economy lost 35,000 jobs in September
    By Christopher Swann in Washington
    Published: October 7 2005 13:44 | Last updated: October 7 2005 14:13

Employment in the US fell by just 35,000 in September, despite large scale job losses caused by Hurricane Katrina.

Economists had been forecasting a much larger fall of about 125,000. The figures suggest that the employment market is considerably more robust than previously thought.

There were also sharp upward revisions to job creation in previous months. Employment growth in August was revised up from 169,000 to 211,000 and in July from 242,000 to 277,000.

The employment rate, which is calculated separately, rose from 4.9 per cent to 5.1 per cent.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics estimated that Katrina had detracted just 230,000 from payrolls. Without this, payrolls grew at close to the trend rate.

Over the past 12 months employment has grown at an average rate of 194,000 a month.

The impact of the hurricane was focused in the retail and hospitality sectors.

”This means that the Fed can afford to focus on the inflationary implications of Katrina, confirming their belief that the impact on growth is likely to be modest,” said Alan Ruskin, director of research at 4Cast, the consultancy. “The underlying job creation rate is pretty healthy.”

The rise in hourly wages remained a concern however, rising by 0.2 per cent or 2.6 per cent over the year in September. This continues to lag inflation. The consumer price index has risen by 3.6 per cent in the year to August and some economists expect the headline rate to rise to 4.4 per cent in September.

US Treasury bonds fell on job numbers, with yields rising across all maturities as the market focused on inflationary risks and the increased likelihood of further rate hikes by the Federal Reserve.

”The data is strong enough to give the Fed a clean slate in focusing largely on inflation repercussions of the hurricane and higher commodity prices, rather than the growth implications,” said Mr Ruskin said.
    Last edited by DanS; October 7, 2005, 10:35.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

at DanS' feeling that jobgrowth of ~30% higher than labour force growth in what is supposed to be a recovery phase is good news.

The US economy is continuing to lag.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I think 30% higher than labor force growth rate is sufficient to bring us over time to the point where labor has pricing power. Besides, this rate of increase is not set in stone. Save Katrina, we were on a higher trajectory.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Yes...over time.

But inflationary pressures are already strongly mounting and the Fed is in cooldown phase.

After 2-3 years of anemic growth/outright recession this is not particularly impressive...
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

42,000 new jobs were announced in September
          uhmmm I don't have any figures, but I don't think this is enough to keep up with the growing population

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Inflationary pressures largely are contained to energy purchases in the US. Those can head downward rather quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
              Inflationary pressures largely are contained to energy purchases in the US. Those can head downward rather quickly.
              They also might not. And there's no reason to ignore oil inflation if it's just market forces at work.
              DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

It's not just oil inflation. Natural gas prices are high, for instance.

I agree that energy prices may not head down quickly and energy inflation is still inflation, but for purposes of looking at the Fed's actions on interest rates, it is also useful to look at the figures without energy inflation. Besides, the Fed isn't really in the "cooldown phase." Rather, it is moving to more neutral interest rates.

Comment

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Dan,

THAT IS LESS NEW JOBS THAN PEOPLE ENTERING THE JOB MARKET YOU RIGHT-WING TOOL.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by DanS

Comment

For the year, payrolls have increased by 194,000 per month. This is greater than the growth in the employment pool (150,000). For the month of September, there was a job loss of 35,000. However, the job loss from Katrina was 230,000. Although statistically, that will be made up in 2 months, it could easily take over a year before all those displaced by Katrina will be fully employed again.
                          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

DanS's creativity with numbers in order to bolster the Republican image is remarkable.
                            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Word
                              We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                              X