Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use this excellent utility:

Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Is the administrator password "admin"? It usually is...

Comment

A friend of mine passwords everything including individual files at home. He has a dial up connection and only he and his wife live there. I've asked him why he does it and he said he doesn't want hackers getting his financial information.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

It would be real funny if that stuff he needs so much was somewhere in some windows folder

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
            A friend of mine passwords everything including individual files at home. He has a dial up connection and only he and his wife live there. I've asked him why he does it and he said he doesn't want hackers getting his financial information.
            Then why not get a second machine that's not connected at all?
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Iskallin, reinstalling windows doesn't hurt your ability to read files from the disk, unless you used aggressive file-protection schemas, which I don't think you did It's the last-case scenario though due to how long it takes to do ... but it's not that bad.

Alternately, take the harddrive out and put it in another machine that can access it but boot off of something else... the files are still good But laptop HDDs are a pain ...
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Not so if his computer got infected by an autodialer that dialed a phone number in Nigeria at 2am...
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Turn off the computer when not in use.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

True, autodialers are the one danger of dial-up
                    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Turn off the computer when not in use.
                      Your advice does not make your criticism of your friend any less ic.

Perhaps he wants his PC on all the time to catch faxes.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I hvae my PC on all the time..

JM
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN
                        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Get an external USB mass storage case for 2.5" HDDs. Put the HDD from your notebook in there and connect it to another PC. Copy the data you need.
                          Put your HDD back into the notebook and reinstall windows (you can try to repair, which should not erase your files, but I am not too sure, so that's why you should have backed them up first using the external case).

Comment

Why not just get the wanted files from the backup ?
                            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
                            X