X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spy Discovered in the White House

Possible White House spying probed
    FBI investigates whether ex-Marine took classified information

Wednesday, October 5, 2005; Posted: 11:01 p.m. EDT (03:01 GMT)

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The White House is cooperating with an FBI investigation into a former Marine who worked in the vice president's office and has been charged with passing classified information to officials in the Philippines.

Leandro Aragoncillo, 46, a 21-year Marine veteran who became an FBI intelligence analyst last year, already has been charged in New Jersey with passing classified information about Filipino leaders to current and former officials of that nation.

Aragoncillo worked at the White House from 1999 to 2001 and was assigned to the vice president's office under both Al Gore and Dick Cheney.

White House officials said they were aware of the investigation but would provide no details.

"It is an ongoing investigation and as such all questions should be directed to the FBI," White House press secretary Scott McClellan said. "We are cooperating fully with the investigation."

Justice Department spokesman Brian Roehrkasse said the department would not comment on an ongoing investigation.

Aragoncillo was hired to work at the Army's Fort Monmouth, New Jersey, in July 2004 and began sending classified information and documents in January, according to a FBI complaint made public last month. The documents' contents have not been made public.

He sent some of the material to Michael Ray Aquino, a former deputy director of the Philippines National Police who lives in New York City, the complaint said.

Both men were arrested September 10 at their homes and ordered held without bail following an appearance before a federal magistrate.

Aragoncillo is a naturalized U.S. citizen who was born in the Philippines.

espionage, spy, white house, vice president, espionage , Article, 1187030

ABC news link for additional info.
    "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
    —Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Was he smuggling those documents out in his socks?

Comment

ABC says the information was mostly transferred via e-mail.
      "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
      —Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Comment

He should've passed them to a former US Nat'l Security Advisor instead of a former Philipine Nat'l Police.
        (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
        (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
        (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

When I read the title, I thought it was going to be W. It would explain so much...
          "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Originally posted by Koyaanisqatsi
            When I read the title, I thought it was going to be W. It would explain so much...
            I was thinking of Cheney engaging in industrial espionage...
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

How the **** did a naturalized citizen get Top Secret clearance???????

ACK!
              Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

You mean like Kissinger? Shocking.
                ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Can you think of a not discrimatiory reason why not?
                  "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos
                    Can you think of a not discrimatiory reason why not?
                    Have you ever seen a phillipino national in a classified field in the Navy?

I sure didn't. Cooks and Nosun's mates mostly.

Furthermore, how much of a background check can they do when he lived in the Phillipines?

It's not dicriminatory, it's common sense. Don't think so? look what happened here.

The man could have joined the Navy just to be a spy.

ACK!

Comment

Wow, considering all my CSs are white, except for the Cheif who is black, you get the prize for the most racist comment of the night.

Though yes, the Phillipino mafia was an old Navy tradition, though their numbers are far fewer now that Subic is closed.

This particular spy was a Marine, not a Sailor.
                      "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Wow, considering all my CSs are white, except for the Cheif who is black, you get the prize for the most racist comment of the night.

Though yes, the Phillipino mafia was an old Navy tradition, though their numbers are far fewer now that Subic is closed.

This particular spy was a Marine, not a Sailor.
                        Why is it racist? Did I say anywhere in the post that it was the only job they could do? Did I say they were to, whatever, to do the other jobs?

No.

I said they worked in the galley and deck division. It's not racist it's fact.

People like you that draw conclusions like that are far more racist than I am.

Getting racism out of a simple observation is simply sad.

Oh and I somehow missed that he was a Marine.

However, you never answered my question, do you have ANY foreign nationals that are working in classified jobs?

ACK!
                        Last edited by Tuberski; October 6, 2005, 01:34.

Comment

However, you never answered my question, do you have ANY foreign nationals that are working in classified jobs?
                          Yes.

But just for perspective, every officer in the military has seceret clearance, and there are a very good many foriegn nationals in the officer corps.

Have you ever seen a phillipino national in a classified field in the Navy?
                          Oh please, while my ridicule of the statement was sarcastic, don't try to pretend that if we were discussing something that was near and dear to the hearts of Polys
                          Liberal crusaders you would not have been pounced on without mercy for the above comment.

Comment

Yes.

But just for perspective, every officer in the military has seceret clearance, and there are a very good many foriegn nationals in the officer corps.

Oh please, while my ridicule of the statement was sarcastic, don't try to pretend that if we were discussing something that was near and dear to the hearts of Polys
                            Liberal crusaders you would not have been pounced on without mercy for the above comment.
                            I didn't read any sarcasm, it's become sarcasm because I beat you and you know it.

That's 2.

ACK!

Comment

Consider in the second line of my responce is a qualifier, I will just let things rest that you are not a captain of the obvious.

Now don't make me smoke you in this thread too

Comment

Working...
                              X