• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The executive producer of the upcoming Halo movie is Peter Jackson

Microsoft, film studios tap Jackson for 'Halo'
    Tue Oct 4, 2005 2:23 PM ET

By Lisa Baertlein

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The Oscar-winning creative team behind the "The Lord of the Rings" films, including director Peter Jackson, has been named to run the production of the upcoming film based on Microsoft Corp.'s blockbuster "Halo" video game, the company said on Tuesday.

Jackson and his wife, Fran Walsh, will serve as the executive producers for "Halo," which is targeted for worldwide release in mid-2007 by Universal Pictures and Twentieth Century Fox film studios.

Universal will oversee the film's production and domestic distribution. Fox will handle international distribution.

"Halo" will be shot in Wellington, New Zealand, and will use Jackson's production and post-production facilities there.

"I'm a huge fan of the game and look forward to helping it come alive on the cinema screen," Jackson said in a statement.

The executive producers will collaborate with Universal, Fox and Microsoft's Bungie Studios, which created the game.

"Halo," the best-selling franchise for Microsoft's Xbox game console, follows the adventures of the futuristic super-soldier "Master Chief" as he battles an alien onslaught.

Screenwriter and novelist Alex Garland wrote the original feature film adaptation of Halo. A director will be named in coming weeks, but the cast has yet to be announced.

Jackson and Walsh are currently in post-production on Universal's "King Kong," slated for release in December. This is the first time that the duo are acting as executive producers on a major film that Jackson is not directing.

The video game industry -- whose sales rival those of the U.S. box office -- is gaining stature, taming the industry's maverick image and moving closer to Hollywood. By the time of its release, "Halo" will join other video-game inspired films such as "Lara Croft: Tomb Raider," "Resident Evil," and "Doom." But the industry's Hollywood inroads have not been without bumps.

Hollywood's major film studios gave Microsoft a cool reception last spring when the company came to them with an initially high asking price for "Halo" -- the script which was delivered by laser-gun toting costumed messengers.

As part of their deal with the global software giant and No. 2 video game console maker, Universal and Fox will pay Microsoft $5 million plus a percentage of movie ticket sales. The price is capped at 10 percent of domestic box office receipts.

Universal Pictures is operated by the NBC Universal media division of General Electric Co., and is co-owned by Vivendi Universal. Fox is owned by Rupert Murdoch's News Corp Ltd..
    I like how this is shaping up.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Good. Another movie I don't have to see
    Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
    And notifying the next of kin
    Once again...

Comment

Maybe Jackson can be the end to the problem that basically every movie adoption of games has faced with sucking. Notice the examples mentioned in the article: Lara Croft, Resident Evil, and Doom (which admittedly has not come out yet, but looks like perhaps the worst idea/production of a movie ever).
      "Remember, there's good stuff in American culture, too. It's just that by "good stuff" we mean "attacking the French," and Germany's been doing that for ages now, so, well, where does that leave us?" - Elok

Comment

Come on then aliens, you're keeping me from my women!

Oh, Master Chief! Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Hueij
          Good. Another movie I don't have to see
          I'd be surprised if you ever saw a movie made past 1959...
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

I'd be surprised if you ever saw a movie made past 1959...
            Well, be surprised then...
            Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
            And notifying the next of kin
            Once again...

Comment

Ah yes, HALO: The Movie...Or, So This Is Where Halo 2's Plot Went!

Comment

Duh, Peter Jackson is a brand of cigarette.

Comment

I didn't know Halo had Hobbits
                  Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Working...
                  X