Recommend music to Zevico

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend music to Zevico

Previously, on "recommend music to Zevico", I asked for some classical and Queen related stuff. Today, I'll go on to some more modern stuff.
    Presently, I have two Eagles albums--Desperado and Hotel California. Also, I own a few Queen Albums (Night at The Opera, Day at the Races, News of The World, Jazz, Queen II). I'm looking to expand to other rock musicians, or perhaps something more different--jazz or blues. I have lots of BB King, and a few albums by Stan Getz/Oscar Peterson Trio, but that sums up my blues and jazz collections so far. Another artist I really liked listening to was Jeff Buckley (album: Grace), and was wondering if any of you knew of other good music of his worth buying that he made before dieing (or any other musicians similar to him). Finally, if anyone could recommend an additional Eagles album worth getting, that'd be good too.
    Many thanks to you music aficionados out there!
    "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

By Buckley I can recommend 'Mystery White Boy' and 'Sketches For My Sweetheart The Drunk'- it's also worth looking out for the various singles and e.p.s as some of them contain live tracks and alternate versions.

As for jazz, I can recommend getting compilations such as 'Jazz Juice' which always had a diverse array of artists:

Jazz Juice 3

1. Freddie Hubbard - Return Of The Prodigal Son
    2. Oscar Brown Jr - Work Song
    3. Lou Rawls - The Girl From Ipanema - Live
    4. Rob Mullins - Samba
    5. Jon Lucien - Listen Love
    6. Chet Baker - Do It The Hard Way
    7. Eydie Gorme - The Coffee Song (They've Got An Awful Lot Of Coffee In Brazil)
    8. Nancy Wilson - Call Me
    9. Gil Scott Heron & Brian Jackson - The Bottle - Live

or any of the Verve compilations, or the collections devoted to individual composers or songwriters, such as Cole Porter or Harold Arlen.
    Attached Files
    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Thanks molly, I'll look into some of that .
      "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

What sort of Jazz do you think you'd like? Would you prefer instrumental or vocal, electric or acoustic, new or old?

I really enjoy the group Weather Report. I suggest the album Black Market, or perhaps Heavy Weather. It's a couple of older Jazz guys who put together a fusion band in the late 1960s. They put out a lot of albums over the decades, they kept changing their sound and they kept puting out interesting stuff.

Btw, one thing your Queen collection could use is the album Sheer Heart Attack (not to be confused with the cut of the same name on News of the World). It's probably the best of their early albums.
        He's got the Midas touch.
        But he touched it too much!
        Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Mainly I've heard instrumental jazz from Stan Getz/Oscar Peterson Trio. Some of that was really good stuff. I heard some Miles Davis as well, and he sounds pretty good. As to songs with vocals, I haven't heard many good ones of the Jazz genre (couldn't stand 'Girl from Ipanema'...how it was so popular I don't know).
          I was thinking of getting that Queen album as well, but thought to perhaps wait until I had acquired some music of a different type. Still, I have a relatively high amount to spend so chances are I'll get it anyway. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into Weather Report

Comment

Working...
          X